Clutch cable replacement how-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable replacement how-to

Following are instructions for replacing the clutch cable on a 1981 GS550L.

My first how-to! Keep in mind that I'm a newbie and pretty much figuring this out as I go along.
    Please add comments/corrections- once it's reasonably coherent, I'll convert it to PDF and stash it somewhere for prosperity.

1. Remove left foot rest. This is probably optional, but I found it easier to take the extra 30 seconds and remove it.

2. Remove bolt and pull shifter linkage(?) away. Leave the pivot part alone.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

3. Rotate shifter away

4. Remove 6 marked screws. I had to use an impact screwdriver to loosen these.

Comment

5. Remove cover. This takes some minor wiggling, but with the shifter and foot rest out of the way it is pretty easy.

Comment

Here's the other side of the cover. I cleaned most of the gravel and crud out of here already. I just let this hang here while I detached the cable from the other end.

Comment

6. Detach cable from lever. Just unscrew and remove- the slots in the bolt and nut line up to free the cable.

Comment

7. With the adjuster bolt out, just rotate the cable out of the slot and bring it down to free it.

Comment

8. Detach cable from cover. Rotate as shown in the picture until there is enough room to slide the cable and nut out. This works pretty much like the connection at the other end.

Comment

9. Remove and save the end. This will go back on the new cable.

Comment

10. Unscrew and remove cable from cover. This is a good time to clean the crud out.

Comment

11. Remove the gas tank (optional?). I opted to leave the tank connected and rotate it out of the way. Make sure to put a rag between the tank and anything that might scratch it.

12. Note routing of old cable, then remove it.

-- from here on out, pretty much follow steps in reverse to reassemble --

13. Install new cable along same path. I found it easier to go from the bottom up to the handlebars- as the handlebar end of the cable is smaller.

14. Attach cable to lever. Screw the adjustment bolt most of the way in to give maximum slack at the other end.

15. Attach cable to cover: insert cable end, screw in bolt, attach end nut, insert nut and cable into slot.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Here's the new cable installed in the cover.

Comment

16. Reattach everything (cover, shifter, foot rest, gas tank)

17. Verify routing is correct, make sure there are no kinks, and be especially sure that the cable won't bind anywhere when you turn.

18. Set adjustment screws to the required tightness. I like mine with about 1/4" of play in the lever. Once set, tighten the nuts at both ends of the cable so everything stays put.

19. Test drive!

20. Beer!

PS: Nessism: the exhaust you sent looks pretty good on there, eh?
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2008, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X