Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition timing

G'day all,

No doubt this might sound like a daft question to some, but bear with me, OK?

Right then, if I want to advance the ignition timing on my GS1000ST, which way do I turn the base plate -- clockwise or counterclockwise?

I ask because after using the highest octane fuel I can find at the bowser, it's still 'pinking' far too easily when I take off from the lights.

So I want to fiddle the ignition timing a little. But the question is, Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Cheers,
    Mike.

Counterclockwise to advance.
    Clockwise to retard.
    To stop your "pinking" you want to retard the timing, not advance it more.
    The specified timing is for a stock engine in perfect condition, but it should work well enough for all but a highly modified engine.
    Shouldn't need high octane unless it has higher than stock compression or operating in unusual conditions.
    If it is doing this "pinking" with the timing set correctly, something else is wrong.
    Last edited by tkent02; 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cheers for that -- it's nice to have an answer.
      Since I made the post I decided I'd just take a punt, and turn the plate about 1 degree clockwise... which has markedly reduced the pinking.

My next question is, how far can the timing be safely advanced? Can I go another degree or two without any worries?

To give a bit more info., the engine's top end was rebuilt not that long ago, so it has excellent compression. At the same time, the carbies cleaned out and re-set (a previous owner had done a few, ah, 'innovative' things), balanced; and the valve clearances were all done to the widest tolerance recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Counterclockwise to advance.
        Clockwise to retard.
        To stop your "pinking" you want to retard the timing, not advance it more.
        Originally posted by tfb View Post
        I decided I'd just take a punt, and turn the plate about 1 degree clockwise... which has markedly reduced the pinking.

My next question is, how far can the timing be safely advanced? Can I go another degree or two without any worries?
        As tkent mentioned, clockwise will retard your timing, not advance it. You retarded it and it seemed to improve, now you are asking how much more you can advance it? To my feelble little brain cell, it seems that you have already found the limit. Now, the question remains ... is this setting correct according to specs? Obviously it works, but it is best to check with a timing light, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A lean fuel mixture can contribute to engine knock as well so you might want to verify the mixture via some plug chops before messing with the ignition too much.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You retarded it and it seemed to improve, now you are asking how much more you can advance it? To my feelble little brain cell, it seems that you have already found the limit.
            Erm... ah... ... I *did* mean "retard" the timing... but somehow got it in my head about advancing it in the same direction, if you get my drift. Maybe not... but don't worry, it's me with the feeble brain cells here.

I meant to ask, then: how far can I safely retard the timing?

I don't think the mixture is lean, because (i) I have got the carbs set stock-standard for an engine that is stock-standard, apart from the 4-1 exhaust which isn't anything radical; and (ii) because I used an AFR meter on it after the rebuild and it indicated that things were running OK in the fueling dept.

Thanks for your patience, gents. Time I hit the hay...

Comment

Working...
            X