Turn Signal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Question

I am very close to getting my first motorcycle ('85 GS550L) on the road. I am really the hold up now.

Yesterday evening I was checking the lights without the engine running, the key in the on position. When I activated the turn signal it would flash once and then stay on. It did the same thing on either side. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the battery. So, I started it and tried the turn signals again. With the engine running the turn signals worked. Although, they seemed to operate irratic. Sometimes the light seemed to stay on a little longer.

Is this normal operation or is this behavior an indication of something about to fail?

Thanks

James

Sounds normal to me. The flashing operation is rather voltage-dependant. With the key ON and the engine not running, the battery is usually below 12 volts. With the engine running near idle speed, it is likely between 12 and 13 volts. Over about 2000 rpm, the voltage should be over 14 and turn signal operation should be good.

One thing that might help is to check the condition of the battery. If the battery is weak, it will go to a lower voltage sooner, affecting not only the turn signals, but all the other functions on the bike, including ignition. You think erratic turn signals are a problem? Try skipping about every 5th or 6th spark to the plugs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Those blinking lights!

Hi Mr. jwebb6906,

Mr. Steve speaks wisely. Low voltage to the turn signal relay will cause improper operation. I had issues with my blinkers recently and the troubleshooting guide in the manual led me to replace the flasher relay. Read about it here.

Yours sounds as if everything is operating normally, but your battery may be a little weak. Let's hope you don't have a charging issue. What is the DC voltage across the battery terminals at idle? (Should be 12-13v.) At 4000-5000 rpm? (Should be around 14v.) How old is your battery? I'm just trying to cover all the bases. Forgive my curiosity.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

you should charge the battery
        also remove all buls and assure that there is no corrosion inside ( i had to replace two that rusted in place )

shoot a little contact cleaner into the switch ont he handlebar also

if this still does nto work then you would likely need to go and find the wiring harness connectors for the flashers and clena then as well

Bass Cliff is now hosting the manul for this bike so download it is is the best thing you can do for the journey ahead.

Comment

The problem I have found with turn signals is they only light half the time....

(ducking and running)

Comment

I will check the battery voltage at idle and at 4,000 or 5,000 rpm.
            It makes sense that the battery might be a little weak. I just bought this motorcycle and have been getting it and myself ready for the open road. During my work on it I have started it several times but it has not been ran at much more than idle since I have had it. If everything goes as planned we will be on the road next week.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
              The problem I have found with turn signals is they only light half the time....

(ducking and running)
              It must have been YOU that I asked to see if my signals were working, then.

You replied "Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no,... .................................................. ......

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X