GS700ES carb Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700ES carb Issues

I bought the bike 3 weeks ago, and it ran. The carbs were backfiring at low end, and idle. It ran really strong at 5,000+RPM's though. Well being the smart guy I am I took the carbs off the bike, took the top caps off, and the bottom float bowls. I cleaned it all out ( though I want to do it again and use the wire peice to clean out the small areas). Now I put them back on the bike, and I can not get it to start, and when it does( on full choke) it idles a bit, then dies when you give it any hint of gas. Then I left the petcock on prime and it drained onto the garage floor overnight(nice)

Take em off and clean them up again. Take out the idle jets and make sure they're clean. You also have a stuck float, or a floats sinking, or have a bad o-ring on the float valve. You'll want to change your oil, as some gas probably got mixed in with your oil when it overflowed. Gas is not a good lube. If you're willing to do this the right way (not the quick fix way) check out the carb cleaning series. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

Thanks

I figured that would be the place to start. Any ideas of a good soaking solution to really clean them good?
      I will be tearing them off, and going through them completly tonight.
      I just don't want to mess with the settings or anything, as I do not yet have a manual. any advice there?

Comment

Chemtool B-12 can be bought at most auto parts stores and works very well for cleaning the carbs. What kind of bike and carbs do you have? The carb settings are different for the different types of carbs, so you need to let people know what you have. If you have the CV type carbs that are shown on the carb rebuild the only two settings you need to worry about are the air fuel mix screw that you have to drill the lead cap out of should be around 2.5 turns out and the throttle setting screw for syncing them. I haven't put mine back on my bike yet so can't help you much further, but there are plenty of posts on pre sync'n the carbs just do a search on it.

Comment

1985 GS700ES, Assuming I have Mikuni Carbs?

I need to drill out the cap? Very Carfefully I assume.
          I have been told from the prior owner that the bike has some UNI parts( racing set up I am assuming), I think he mentioned a UNI cam.
          Thanks for the Heads up on the carb cleaner/soaker.
          Yes my carbs are very similar to the ones in the Carb Cleaning tips, which I am going to follow this time. Does it note in there where the cap is that I need to drill out?

Comment

This is about the best photo of where it is and yes be very careful when you drill it out. It's lead so it should come out pretty easy.

Comment

Yes it does, when you take out the caps be careful, the screw is right under them, and you don't want to bugger it up. If you want any specific stock settings PM me, and I'll look it up in my manual. As for a UNI cam, I didn't know they made cams, but they do make air filters, so he may have had UNI pod filters. While you're in there, check out what jets you have, it should be stamped on them.

Comment

Yes it does have the Pod Filters, is that going to affect my carb settings. I am getting a lot of sputtering out of # 3 Carb, when it starts.
                Can I clean the UNI pod filters with the K&N recharge kit? I assume it would be the same type.

Comment

cap removal

Use a small drill bit and then use a sheetmetal screw to pull it out.

Comment

85 GS700ES fuel lines

It is not one that I can take out with a correct fitting screwdriver I take it?
                    Also. Can anyone let me know the hookups for the gas lines.
                    I know there is one to the vacum(smaller side of the petcock) that connects to the # 2 Carb Correct, then the main fuel line. I think I have the wrong one hooked up, somewhere becuase it seems as though I have a massive vacum problem, when I tap the throttle at all.
                    If someone could tell me where the lines run too, on the 85GS700 I would appreciate it
                    Thanks
                    JB

Comment

The smaller line from #2 is the vacuum line and hooks up to the smaller fitting on the petcock. The larger line coming from the carbs hooks up to the larger fitting on the petcock.

Comment

Billy, I still have one more line hanging out there somewhere?
                        Whats up with that? any ideas. There is a connection on the #1 carb that I have the line going to from #2. Yet I still have two lines hooked up to the tank? am I missing something here. I appreciate all the help you guys are offering. I wish I was not at this #)*# Desk, and in front of my bike fixing my mistake, lol.
                        I now know that I need to switch the line from Carb #2 to the tank, (small side) but what hooks up to Carb #1, is it just a runoff?

Comment

Sounds like you're confusing vent lines with fuel lines. You should have a couple of vent lines that allow air into the bowls and take care of any overflow to the bowls. Most likely between numbers 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. The vacuum line is the one on the cylinder side of #2. Then the largest line is the fuel line. If you have vent lines connected just run them down behind the motor and in front of the swingarm pivot.

Comment

THANK YOU

I went home last night, hooked up the Vacum line to the small side of the Petcock, and removed the vent line I HAD hooked up there. Started right up,(only ran it for less than a minute;See below) imagine that. Turns out I did a pretty good cleaning of the carbs I guess.
                            THEN I changed the FULL OF GASOLINE OIL, it was very runny with all the oil.
                            Now here is the new problem, the oil filter o ring.
                            I can not get a good seal on the new o ring, after replacing the oil filter. Two times now it has sprayed oil across the driveway(which the wife is none to thrilled about,lol)
                            I think i am not getting enough tourqe on the small cap bolts on there

Comment

You don't need to tighten the oil filter cover too much. After the nuts seat the cover you'll just want to turn them a little bit more, otherwise something will break. Your leak could be an o-ring with a little cut in it or dirt between the cover and the case. I've had both now but I never had oil spraying, just a few drips under the bike after shutdown.

Good work with the carbs, I think I've got mine figured out as well but time will tell.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X