Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THANK YOU

Originally posted by Classicrentals
    . Two times now it has sprayed oil across the driveway(which the wife is none to thrilled about,lol)
    Now that you have your bike running, what do you need a wife for?

Terry

Comment

Ha ha

Yea, she would love to see that one.
      But now that I think about it, I should get the bike in a bit better shape, before I get rid of the second income, lol

Comment

Classicrentals, I always do 2 things regarding the filter cover o-ring when changing the oil on my 1983 GS750ES (i.e. essentially the same as your bike):
        1) Use a new o-ring (they are cheap).
        2) Put a little bit of new oil in the recessed groove in the filter cap that holds the o-ring. This helps hold the o-ring in place while replacing the cap. It sounds like your o-ring may have slipped out of the groove.

Also, NEVER over-tighten the 3 filter cover nuts....just snug them up. There have been a number of posts here about people "giving the nuts one last turn" and stripping either the nut or the stud. You don't have to tighten the nuts hard to get an oil-tight seal. If you are worried about them backing off while riding, clean the threads and nuts and apply a little Loctite "blue" thread locker.

Comment

Yea

I think that one last turn got to me. The top nut turns like a plastic bottle cap, tightens up, then on the next turn is loose again. So I may have done the damage. We have a shop in the next town, Called ACME nut and bolt. They have EVERYTHING. So I think I may get a new stud and nut there? I will take the old, but do you have any idea what I should be looking for.
          I will definetly replace the o ring(again) as I pinched the new one I put in.
          Thanks. This site is making my life a lot easier. I appreciate it

Comment

Working...
          X