Bias or radial tires? Loose sprocet??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias or radial tires? Loose sprocet??

Had fun all weekend riding the 79 gs1000e around. Rode 60 miles yesterday alone with no problems (thats alot considering this bike has been dormant for years). Now, I know better, but I've been riding on a pretty bald back tire, infact the tire egged out on me while riding home (perfect timing). And it couldn't have been a better time to pull the rear wheel because I discovered that I had NO lining left on the rear pads but had not messed up the rotor yet and the sprocket was loose about 3/8's of an inch play in either direction. Now my questions. Is there a reason (other than a retarded PO) that the sprocket would come loose and should I be checking something else? I just tightened it back up and closed the lock retainers on the nuts (they were closed before), it seemed to work. Also there seems to be quite a variety of tires available. I am looking to replace the front tire with the stock size and bump up the rear to a 130 instead of the skinny lil 120. Since the bike came with bias ply tires would it be ok to replace them with radials? Any recommendations on tire brand, sizes, composition and retailers will be considered and definitely appreciated. Thanks!
    Yes I know I spelled sprocket wrong in the title. Stupid spell check always pointing out my short spellings.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM.

Radials

Don't even consider radials for your bike but your tire size change is just fine. Most brands are fine and everyone has preferences but if you do a search, you'll come up with some good recommendations. I use Dunlop GS501's on the GS750 and IRS 310's on the GS1100; I think both of them are very good. Change your pads (check the front ones while you're at it) and you should be good to go!

P.S. Be sure to install a new tube when you put on your new tire.
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-22-2008, 02:31 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
      Don't even consider radials for your bike but your tire sizes are just fine. Change you pads and you should be good to go!
      Pads are a given, I've already got them and a slotted drilled rotor!! But I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't recommend radials. Is it because of suspension characteristics of the GS? I would imagine (and I do alot) that they would handle better and provide longer life than bias. Again I'm new to the whole bike thing so I lack experience with the whats and what nots. But then GOD said "let there be GSR" and what was unknown became posted and displayed across the world. Thanks again!!
      Wait, I have tubes on mags???
      Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Radials

I'm sure there are very technical reasons why you shouldn't use radials but all of the tire manufacturers recommend that you never put radials on a bike that was not engineered for them.....and these old beauties were not!

As far as the mags, that subject has been covered here on the forum 4367 times (give or take a few). The old mags were porous and leaked air. If you're not losing air now and you find there's no tube in there, I'd leave it out. I feel sure there will be a tube there when you get the old tire off. If the wheel doesn't say "tubeless" on it, it's not intended to be run tubeless but some of the guys seem to have pretty good luck without them.
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

The basic reason for NOT using radials is that the wheels are not wide enough. Some have used radials but they have retrofitted latter wider rims to their bike

Comment

Yup, as Lynn stated, radial tires require rims much wider than our narrow GS rims. Lots of good bias ply tires available on the market.

In terms of which tires to get and where, this thread comes up at least once per week – or 52 times per year…on minimum. The search function is your friend.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If it was the rear sprocket, then it can't have been torqued up right.

If it was the front sprocket, it may be that there is a tab washer , and it has fallen to bits or something, used to happen on the front on a gs550 I had. Worth checking them both, whichever was loose.

Comment

Yep, it was the rear sprocket. I just tightened it back up, seems ok now but time and miles will tell. As for tires, I had my eye on the pirellis and after reading all I can handle of the threads posted on this I am going with them. The 78 parts bike I have has these with near perfect tread, unfortunately dry rot from sitting has ruined the sidewalls. I understand that the radials require a bit more rim width and maybe one day after I win the lottery and have nothing but free time and money I will convert. Or maybe just buy a new bike that comes with them and restore the gs to factory condition.
                On an off topic note, while searching through tire threads I came across an old thread discussing coverting turn signals to LED (the thread mentioned the word tire once in 4 pages). I have converted all my lights except the headlight to LED in a very easy and reversable way. All the lights used are in the stock housings and LED's are sold with DOT approval by NAPA. If anyone is interested I can make a thread about it.
                And once again thanks for all the input and sorry I didnt do a search before posting.

Comment

Working...
                X