Lost something, oh well..who needs to shift anyways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost something, oh well..who needs to shift anyways

Well funny thing happened on the way to work today.... I lost my bolt that holds on my shift lever for my '80 450E. (OK not that funny especially to me) I can pick another one up at a yard not too far from home, its just getting there that worries me. I was able to get a cable-tie that allowed me to shift from 2-3 and back, but I wouldn't use that for more than the mile or two I was from work.

There is a Home Depot close by, and if anyone has any idea how I can rig something to work for about 40 miles or so, PLEASE let me know.

Thanx,

If you have a mole wrench (vice grips), you can squeeze the lever clamp with it, to stop it slipping and stripping the splines.

Comment

Carry the lever into HD and get a bolt to fit. It's more than likely a 6mm.

Comment

The lever won't come off, and wouldn't help if it did. Its the bolt that holds the shifter near the peg not the case.

Comment

Scavenge a bolt from under the seat - the battery box can do without one of its bolts until you get a new one (just don't disconnect any electrical grounding wires).

Comment

Missing Bolts

Ok, I had this EXACT same thing happen to me...

Here's how I fixed it...

I took the shift lever assembly, and the foot-peg off. I then went to my local hardware store and found a bolt that was the right size to fit the threads on the other side...

However, Suzuki used a stepped bolt, so the part that goes through the shifter is thicker than the part with the threads...

So I got a metal sleeve from the same hardware store that had an ID close to that of the bolt, and an OD that would fit tight inside the shifter lever... Cut the sleeve to size, and presto! New bolt...

Comment

Working...
            X