extreme oil temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extreme oil temp

HI ALL, BIKE IS RUNNING FINE, OTHER THAN IT GOES OF THE TEMP SCALE AFTER ABOUT 5-7 MILES WITH OIL TEMP. 300+ DEGREES.
    WHAT MAY BE THE CAUSE?
    I'VE CLEANED THE SUMP GAUZE,REPLACED OIL FILTER, FITTED A PX. GUAGE WHICH READS 2.5psi. APPROX AT60 MPH,

ALL INPUTS WELCOME, ITS' GS1000s,
    thanks jim

Originally posted by jyjet View Post
    HI ALL, BIKE IS RUNNING FINE, OTHER THAN IT GOES OF THE TEMP SCALE AFTER ABOUT 5-7 MILES WITH OIL TEMP. 300+ DEGREES.
    WHAT MAY BE THE CAUSE?
    I'VE CLEANED THE SUMP GAUZE,REPLACED OIL FILTER, FITTED A PX. GUAGE WHICH READS 2.5psi. APPROX AT60 MPH,

ALL INPUTS WELCOME, ITS' GS1000s,
    thanks jim
    IF that gauge is accurate you have a problem because it should be more like 8 psi.

Comment

Do a search on the forum for Oil Temp.

Here is a relevant one:
      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Some guys do get 300 plus temps. It seems high.

If there is no obvious cause (like lean running cylinders---are pipes getting discolored-gold or bluish?---lots of backfiring?) then maybe you should just go for an oil cooler and/or use a really good quality sythetic oil like Amsoil 20w 50. You can run the Amsoil really hot and it will hold up well. This will be good for the bike and give you some peace of mind.

Hopefully more the experienced guys will weigh in. I am just repeating stuff I have heard from Nessism, Steve, CafeKid, etc. They will give you more info.

Good Luck

Comment

hot oil

Hi thanks,
        one of the pipes is a bit goldish, no backfireing, just had new rings, valve seals etc, the oil px. Guage will hit 7-8 psi when revving but on the road it is low. Keep the info coming.

Thanks jim

Comment

Yea, oil pressure is pretty low on these GS engines; in my experience it’s closer to 2.5 psi than 8 psi after the oil heats up.

Regarding the temp, I’ve read here about people seeing 300+ F on their big bore 1100E’s so I assume that’s fairly normal…but not good. I’m running synthetic oil and an oil cooler on my 850. Have to admit though, lots of folks around here are showing big mileage on their GS engines and most of these people don’t run either. I’d say go for the synthetic oil for sure though if you ride in a hot area. 20W-50 would be a good hedge if the temperature in your area spikes above 90F regularly.

Lean mixture will also exacerbate the hot running so make sure your carbs are clean and properly jetted if you are running an exhaust/pods.

Good luck
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the correction Ed. I was thinking more like 5 or 6 when good and hot. Wow, 2.5 is crazy low. Amazing that these things ever leak oil at that pressure.

Comment

hot oil

Thanks again, i live in n.ireland where ambient temp is 10-15 c on a good day! I don't want to cook the engine,asit goes off scale, so what should i look at next? This can't be a normal situation.
              30,000 mls on engine, just had top end rebuild, and carbs all set etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by jyjet View Post
                Thanks again, i live in n.ireland where ambient temp is 10-15 c on a good day! I don't want to cook the engine,asit goes off scale, so what should i look at next? This can't be a normal situation.
                30,000 mls on engine, just had top end rebuild, and carbs all set etc.?
                Do the plugs look lean (white)?

Comment

How are you measuring the temp? That does seem very high for your climate (makes here look positively warm!).
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hot oil

I'm just going by the bikes temp guage. I've cleaned the sensor, the plugs look slightly white, if too lean how should the carbs be adjusted? But the bike runs fine, picks up cleanly, no backfire on roll off etc. Reallly hoping to avoid full strip down!
                    Thanks jim

Comment

Take your temp sender out and put it into some HOT water with a thermometer and see what your temp guage says.Should read the same as the thermometer.You may need to bodgy an earth to the sender.Cheers,Simon.
                      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

How long has the bike been running this hot? Has it gradually got hotter & hotter or has it always been this way? I like the idea of checking the guage, like many other guages, they are prone to be not too accurate.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

when the oil gets close to or over 400 degrees F then check your ignition timing and heat range of your spark plugs. 300 + F oil temp. is common- I lived in Las Vegas and Phoenix-- summer requires special attention for air cooled engines.

colder plug like a B9ES ,B10ES during the summer and retard the timing 3-5 degrees at idle and that will reduce the operating temperature of your motorcycle.

assuming that the bike is in a good state of tune to begin with.
                          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

This last post raises a question for me that should help others.

1. So going to a different plug can reduce temps a little...anyone doing this?--How much did this reduce the heat?

2. I remember someone telling me to advance the timing forward to reduce heat.

Can any of you experts explain the theory here? Ie. Why advancing or retarding the timing effects how hot the engine is running?

Thanks!

Comment

My 83 GS1100E has an oil temp gauge. Not sure how accurate it is but the highest I've seen it go is to 210 F.
                              1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD! :cry:
                              1990 RM250L since 1989.
                              1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
                              1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
                              2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
                              1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
                              2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
                              2006 DR650SE since May 2012
                              2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
                              Green is just another color.

Comment

Working...
                              X