77 GS750 Clutch Adjustment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS750 Clutch Adjustment Question

I searched for this but did not find what I was looking for. Wonder if anyone can help.

I would like my clutch to begin to engage very early in the throw of the clutch lever. That way, very soon after I start to let out the lever, the clutch will begin to engage.

Right now my clutch begins to engage very late in the lever throw. This bothers me.

My Clymers manual and the Suzuki manual I downloaded (Thank you Mr. BassCliff ) talk about how to adjust the clutch but not how to change where in the throw the clutch engages. I've performed the adjustment several times but still my clutch engages very late in the lever throw.

There are three adjustments as far as I can tell: 1) The cable adjuster on the lever, 2) The cable adjuster on the engine, and 3) the adjustment screw under the cable adjuster cover. Neither manual even mention the adjuster on the engine.

Anyone have any idea of how accomplish what I'm after with the three adjustments available?

As always, thanks so much for the help!

just a little bump

Comment

I've really been beating my head against this. I found an adjustment that gave me the clutch release just at the point I want. This was about 1.5 turns outs of the adjustment screw. The manual calls for a 1/4 turn out, so I knew I out of bounds.

The adjustment didn't last long. About a 2 miles into a ride I heard "twang" and clutch lever was limp. I got her home and readjusted the clutch correctly according to the manual and she works great, but the clutch still engages very late in the lever throw. Any words of wisdom? Should I just give up and live with it like it is?

Thanks,

Comment

I think you have to live with it. There is an advantage as well: you don't have to pull the lever in all the way to dis-engage, wich alows for faster shifting.
        One option i can think of is to buy an aftermarket clutch lever on wich you can set the point of engagement. http://www.constructorsrg.com/levers/gp_clutch.html

They are a little expensive thoug.....

Succes,
        Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Vrolijk View Post
          One option...is to buy an aftermarket clutch lever...http://www.constructorsrg.com/levers/gp_clutch.html../They are a little expensive though..
          Thank you so much for replying. That lever looks VERY cool, but for $400 I can learn to live with the clutch the way it is!

I've been looking to see if I can find some other adjustable clutch lever that will work for less $$$ but no happiness yet. I'll do a search on the forum and see if others have had any luck.

Thanks again for you thoughts and the link.

gbw

Comment

Hi,
            Ifyou look at that site, on the left side there is a clutch handle called "supersport clutch". It's a very nice handle as well, but probably a bit cheaper. ( I did find out just 5 minutes ago)
            Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Vrolijk View Post
              Hi,
              Ifyou look at that site, on the left side there is a clutch handle called "supersport clutch". It's a very nice handle as well, but probably a bit cheaper. ( I did find out just 5 minutes ago)
              Ed
              Thanks again. The supersport looks very cool but is still a little rich for my blood. I'm sure its worth every penny but hard for me to part with that much green for a clutch lever.

I may try to bend my lever a little. Perhaps with the proper application of heat I can get it where I want without breaking it.

Comment

Working...
              X