gl vs g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gl vs g

what is the difference between the GL and the G models.. I llike the look of the tailsection(see michaels pics in General discussion) Is it possible to use these parts on a gl bike??

A GS1100G and a GS1100GL of a given year, say 1982, are identical mechanically. Same engine and power train, frame, brakes. The L model has the stepped seat (uncomfortable for most of us who ride many miles), where the standard model has a flat, wide seat, very comfortable.

Handlebars are straight on a standard, pullbacks on the L.

Forks are leading axle on the L, conventional axle at the bottom on the standard.

Uselessly small fuel tank on the L, decent-sized tank on the standard.

Much chrome on the L, not so much on the standard.

Standard: function ahead of form.
    "L" model: form ahead of function.

In case one can't tell, I prefer the standard model by far. My four GS850's were all standards.

Nick

Comment

Another minor differernce:
      - G color matched fenders & glovebox/tail section behind seat, tail light a part of this tail section.
      - GL chrome fenders, no glove box, taillight seperate unit.

- G more comfortable for riding. Can slide back and forth on seat, arms fairly straight, can lean into wind.
      - GL to look cool when cruising downtown or at beach. Butt stuck in one place, sitting straight up. Elbows bent and trying to hold self up against the wind. (opps, I quess that is a personal preference showing thru.)
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

can you swap things over?

Comment

Hey Bowtie,

What they're all trying to tell you is, quite simply, that the "L" version is the best.

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Not quite:

Comment

Hey JoJo,

What's that funny-looking emergency-brake-like-handle-thingey coming up from your engine casing? Looks like the handle on my reclining chair at home

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

What they're all trying to tell you is, quite simply, that the "L" version is the best.

The best for what? Riding uncomfortably for a short distance, because of its puny fuel capacity, stepped seat, and pullback bars? I pity whoever may be a passenger on an L model.

It's the best if one values form over function.

Nick

Comment

One thing that might confuse this discussion (850's, anyway, dont know about 1100 for sure) is that for 78 & 79 it was only a G designated model but the side panel just says GS850 with out a G, was no GL for those years. In 80 and on there was a G seperate from a GL with a G verses a L on side panel. I understand the engine & drive train ectera and such are substatutiable between G & GL, other than those items mentioned in other posting.
                  One other thing to look for when substatuting parts is that the 78 & 79s had different ignaition and different carburators than the 80 and on, again this is for 850s, not for sure what year the same change was made on the 1100.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I know that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder ' etc but there is no way I could describe the L as an attractive bike. That seat is a monstrosity!
                    Looks like Suzuki just cobbled it together to cater for errant Harley fanciers. The standard bike is a classic piece of design, but the L is a tacky shadow of the original.
                    Each to his own though............

Comment

OK......All right.....!!!!

(Gotta do some serious name scratching off of my Christmas Card list - )

Anyone else got any gripes about my taste in bikes? Pi$$ me off enough, and I'll be start'in some "political discussions"

Owner of:
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

I believe it does not matter what kind of GS you ride. After all, if we all would have the same taste and would only like the same kind of bike this forum would only be half the fun it is now. What does matter is that we all like our 'GS oldtimers' and try to keep them running as long as we can. The other day, on a parking this (young) guy, came up to me and told me I had a cool bike. Whether it's on a G, L, 1100 or 750, or any other GS version, when you get these oldies street ready again and get them back cruising on the street, such kind of comments make you think it was all worth the trouble. Otherwise you just go out to the dealership and get yourself one of these fancy new & fast rockets. Problem is you spot one on the street every other minute. No matter what version of GS, just keep them rolling and be part of this GS family. 8) 8) 8)

Comment

I've been debating this very issue with myself for a few weeks now, ever since my first spring ride after "restoring" my "L" model bike over the winter, after "rescuing" it from near-certain death from neglect from the previous owner by acquiring it last fall.

I knew near-nothing about Suzuki GS bikes six-months ago, just a vague recollection that the motors were nearly-indestructable, and there was some kind of problem with the electrics. This memory came from my riding time in my mid/late 20's (during the early 80's) when I was riding Honda 550s and 750s.

After I got the GS last fall, I cleaned it up, and rebuilt/replaced a whole lotta stuff. When Spring came, I gleefully went for my first ride on the brand-new seat. I was instantly disappointed. The combination of the buckhorn handlebars and the two-tier seat puts me in an uncomfortable riding position. Right now, I'm in the process of partially "converting" my "L" model into a "base" or "E" model by changing the handlebars and significantly modifying or replacing the seat.

The good news is that under the "soft chopper" styling is an otherwise excellent frame and powertrain (for the late-70s and early 80s). When I'm done, I'll have a comfortable, reliable, surprisingly high-performance bike (even by today's standards) that will do everything I need a bike to do, for way, way less money than anything new or near new.

Now that I know what I know about Suzuki GS series bikes, if I were to do it all over again, I'd start with an 82 or 83 1100G shaftie. But even with the "L" model limitations, I'd rather have a GS "L" model, than most other bikes by most other manufacturers (in the same price range, and roughly the same vintage).

However, if money grew on trees, I would instantly buy the new Yamaha FJR 1300. Amazing bike! I haven't ridden one, but have been on one in a show room. A friend who's opinion I value has ridden one and has one on order, and between him and most/all of the motorcycle magazine review articles I've read, I've clearly concluded that it's the bike to have.

OK, so thats my long-winded two-cents worth!

Comment

Originally posted by DignoGS1100G
                            I believe it does not matter what kind of GS you ride. After all, if we all would have the same taste and would only like the same kind of bike this forum would only be half the fun it is now. What does matter is that we all like our 'GS oldtimers' and try to keep them running as long as we can.
                            Very true!

Comment

I have a GS1100L model and have found that the seat can be uncomfortable. Do you guys have any idea how hard it would be to have it redone to be wider and get rid of the hump. I am just wanting a ball park figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X