X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick Wrote:
    That's indeed a bike to drool over, Bert
    Thank You kind Sir!!

And contrary to popular wisdom, it's fast -- certainly not as fast as the 1100E 16-valver chainy, but 1100 cc is 1100 cc, and believe me, this bike MOVES!
    Yes it will move along nicely!! I would like a 1100E to go with it as a pair someday

Comment

In partial defense of the "L" model

I'm an "L" model owner who has been bemoaning the discomfort of the "L" seat and handlebars. However, my only experience with the two-tiered, stepped "L" model seat is with an aftermarket "replica" seat manufactured by Travelcade/Saddlemen (called an "LTD" seat). I disliked it within minutes of mounting it and riding it for the first time. Subsequent rides haven't improved my initial negative impression.

Recently, I cut about 4-inches off the ends of my "L" model "wheelbarrow" handlebars, and around about the same time mounted a plastic windshield. Together, these two changes provided a significant improvement in my seating postion and overall comfort. Shortly, thereafter, I stopped into a nearby motorcycle fix-it and used parts shop that seems to concentrate on older Japanese motorcycles, particularly the KZ series Kawasakis (the shop owner used to race these). Lots of old parts for sale ranging from fair to excellent condition. I found a seat and pan labelled GS750L (year unknown). It does not share the same seat pan size/design of my 1979 GS1000L. The 750 seat it is similar in appearance, but slightly narrower than the 1000. But for grins and giggles, I gave the guy a deposit, yanked my aftermarket seat off my bike, tossed the 750 seat on (just laid it atop the frame, because none of the mounts lined up) and went for a ride. I was surprised to find that this particular seat fit me perfectly! All together, the shorter bars, the windshield, and the 750L seat made for a combo that suited me just fine. I cruised for about an hour to make sure.

When I got back to the shop I noticed that the OEM Suzuki seat had about 2 more inches front to back for the drivers butt, than the Travelcade/Saddlemen seat. Also, the OEM Suzuki seat seemed flatter and didn't "push" me towards the gas tank, like the Travalcade/Saddlemen seat does. I've arranged with the shop to "borrow" the 750 seat with a cash deposit, so that I can take both seats to an upholsterer and have a new foam and cover made for my GS1000 seat pan.

So this is a caveat for those considering the Travelcade/Saddlemen "LTD" seat kits. They are NOT direct replicas of the OEM Suzuki seat. For me (and my butt) the OEM seat design is much better.

Comment

Beautiful bike Mike, definite cool factor way up there. 8)
        Doze.

Comment

JoJo, Michael, I gotta say, both bikes are beautiful. Look fresh off the showroom floor. Just looking at them gets my throttle hand twitching.

Comment

gs1000 rulez....

Originally posted by jojo
            Not quite:

Comment

Working...
            X