Bump starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump starting

I have a 1980 550L and every morning I start it by just rolling down the drive way and bump starting about halfway down (6 AM job in a house full of people who worked till 11 PM-12 PM the night before so quiet is a good thing ) I was just wondering if this us not a good thing to do for unknown mechanical reasons?

Welcome aboard! I just sold my '80 550L (my first bike - had it since 1989) and to answer your question I don't know anybody who's suffered negative consequences from bump starting. In fact, I had starter problems with my 1100G a few years back (right at the beginning of a three day GSR rally) and the ONLY way to start it until the parts for a rebuild came in was to bump start it ... bike has yet to complain.

I doubt you'll cause your bulletproof GS any problems by bump starting it.

Regards,

Comment

Agreed, they are pretty tough. The only caution that I would give is to go easy for the first few km's. When you start it with the starter you would normally give it a moment to get up oil pressure and begin warming up. On cold mornings I would be inclined to bump start it and then stop for a moment to allow oil to get up to the top of the motor.

Other than that I'm sure it will be fine.

Comment

use 2nd gear it is less of a shock on the camchain and clutch other than that you'll save the starter and starter clutch wear battery too.

not a problem at all
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

If you use 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, it will be even less of a shock. Problem then is making sure you are rolling fast enough for it to catch.

If you are bump-starting the bike to minimize noise, could that possibly be a hint that your bike is just too loud or needs to be tuned?
          My wife's '82 850L has stock pipes on it that are louder than I prefer, but I have no problem starting it near people that are trying to sleep. It starts easily, warms up quickly and I can ride off within 30 seconds of starting, without getting the revs over 2000, which keeps it on the quieter side.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X