Quick question, spoked wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question, spoked wheels

I have a 1977 GS, was riding yesterday and noticed one of the spokes on the rear wheel is missing. I have never had a bike with spokes before, always mags. Is this something I need to repair as soon as possible, or minimal impact?[/img]

i had an old dirt bike and it more than seven missing and i jumped that thing all day but i would fix it this winter when your not riding

Comment

thanks. just wanted to get a 2nd opinion

Comment

It would fail an MOT test here in UK, and would have to be taken off the road until it was fixed.
        If one spoke is missing it is putting extra strain on the other spokes, also it is an uneven strain on the rim & hub. If one has broken, another will probably go, then another, etc. It might not happen but imagine the rear wheel starting to collapse whilst travelling at high speed.
        Don't forget the hub hangs from the rim by the spokes, it is always the spokes at the top of the wheel that are carrying the load, not the other way round.

Comment

yeah i will have to try and replace it as soon as possible. with the bike as old as it is, do not need more things falling apart.

Comment

Working...
          X