Valve shim calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve shim calculator

Hello all. I know that at one point there was a link to a shim calculator/ Excel spreadsheet. Does anyone have the link? I did it manually but just want to make sure before I go into the dealer. In essence, smaller the shim, larger the gap. .03 - .08 acceptable even though going slightly over such as .088 won't hurt it, correct? Many of mine are at approx. .038 (my smallest feeler.) Thanks!

There is no link. Send me an e-mail with a request, I will reply with the spreadsheet as an attachment.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Send Steve an e-mail at woodin.s@gmail.com asking for his EXCELLENT work sheet.

Also, you're correct, going with a slightly larger gap is much perferable than a tighter one. Smaller gaps will not allow the valves to close.

Suggest getting a set of feeler gages that can measure the smaller gaps however - you really want to know exact numbers when changing out shims.

Perhaps a stupid question, but you measured all your gaps when the engine was STONE cold?

good luck,
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        There is no link. Send me an e-mail with a request, I will reply with the spreadsheet as an attachment.

you beat me to it Steve!
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I did do this when it was cold. Was I suppose to check when it was warm?

Comment

Valves are always checked cold. There's no way to determine how much thermal expansion has taken place if the engine is warm, so it's best to do after the bike has been sitting overnight.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

Ha it's been sitting for days! Actually in the last three months it has only ran three times. Only once successfully down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                you beat me to it Steve!
                Nah, you started typing sooner, I just did a shorter message and got it out quicker.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X