Electonic Ignition not lined up on 2-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electonic Ignition not lined up on 2-3

Tried to set the timing on my '81 GS1000GL the other day. I took apart the whole assembly and lubed up the flyweights, made sure everything was clean put it back together and set the timing for cyl 1&4 then went to check 2-3 and saw that the timing marks were not lined up. As the bike has an electronic ignition there is no adjustment provisions for 2&3 like there would be if It had points. Has anyone else run into this issue and is there a fix other than laying out big $ for a new pick-up unit and module (nearly a grand I'm told).

$120 will get you a Dyna pickup from Z1, if that's the case. I have a stock Electronic on my 1000E, but haven't gotten that far in the project yet.

Comment

Dyna 2000

Hi, I just replaced my ignition system with the dyna 2000 and new coils and wires. It was a little over 400.00 for everything including a crimper for the plug wires. I didn't want to go the used route for electronic parts not knowing
      just what shape they are in. If you go with a dyna s system you will need a advancer from a bike that used points. With the 2000 you don't. I got it from Z1 Enterprises as a package. You will have to find a place to mount the computer, I put mine where the tool tray was. Install the new pickup,coils and cut the wires to length. I also did the relay mod at the same time.
      It fired on the first shot and and the bike runs great. Now I know what I have a reliable ignition that shouldn't leave me high and dry on the side of the road. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time its a 82gs1100gk.
      My 2 cents good luck.
      Paul

Comment

When replacing ign with Dyna BEST mech adv unit to use is 80-81... Point type is fine too but you may have to modify the shim washer ??? SOmetimes the 2-3 pickup can be moved to adj timing

Comment

If you need a replacement pick-up assembly I have one I removed from my 750. I ran the parts through bikebandit and they come up as the same part number. It worked fine but the end that plugs into the igniter needs to be replaced. Of course you should have the end from yours that you could splice on. I'll let it go cheap if your interested.

Comment

81 Should have a mechanical advance in it so the Dyna S (DS3 i think) will bolt straight on. Get rid of the ignitor box. I did it to my 801000G.

I also have a pickup assembly you can have cheap but the wires have been cut. It's normally the ignitor box that goes first though.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This issue doesn't make sense to me; if you are using the factory parts, and they are firing both coils, the timing can't be off more than a small amount. Instead of spending $120 on a Dyna S, I'd try to split the difference in the timing between 1-4 and 2-3. If you can get within a couple of degrees I'd call it done.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

With the marks on F1&4 the crank trigger should point directly at the sending unit on the left side. Same with F3&4 with it pointing directly at the right sending unit.
                I can't see how it can be that far off. Are you using a timing light with it on 2 or 3 plug wire?
                The signal plate does rotate a bit.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys

Sorry..haven't been on here that much..riding you know...the bike runs ok but seems to run out of steam along the run up to higher engine speeds even after setting the timing.

I am concerned about not being able to adjust 2-3 so I will check out all of the info you fellas have provided.

By the way ...where the hell is the ignitor box and how would the bike run if I got rid of it..or are you suggesting that I replace it...and what the hell does it look like.

Good Riding
                  Love these GS's

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X