Tranny/Shifting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny/Shifting problem

The bike is all back together and running....But, I can't seen to shift into gear without stalling.

The clutch cable seems to be adjusted correctly. While running in nutral on the ground it is fine. When I depress the clutch and try to shift to 1st it lurches and stalls while still holding the clutch in. Other than removing the clutch cable to pull the motor and replacing the clutch cover gasket I've done nothing to it. I've read on some other threads about the plates setting up(hasen't been on the road since last year). I was wondering if the shift fork could have slipped out of it's proper place? I have not tried to do anything to fix the problem other than adjust the cable. Help...Moosehead is approaching and I have bugs that need to be addressed.Thanks.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

I don't mess with Trannys. I like girls.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hope someone can help...

Comment

Could just be the clutch plates sticking. Try bump starting it in first gear then pull the clutch in and apply the brakes. Might need a couple of attempts to free it off. Best done with the motor well warmed up as the oil will be thinner and less sticky.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If it has been sitting for a long time the plates could be stuck together. Put it up on the centre stand, put it in neutral, does the rear wheel spin? No, ok, put it in first let the rear wheel spin, hold the clutch in and rev it up to 2-3000rpm, and apply the rear brake gradually a few times, that should separate them. Just check the cable again, it could be fraying at the ends and just stretching each time you squeeze the handle.

Comment

I would suspect the clutch arm on top of the clutch cover was not indexed properly when reassembled

Comment

My money is on the clutch plates being stuck since it sat so long. If the cable puller arm were in the wrong notch the lever pressure would be INSANELY stiff! Let us know who's right! Ray.

Comment

Pull the clutch cover off and pull out the fibers and steels. Soak the fibers in some clean oil and take some steel whool to the steels.
              Plus it never hurts to have a looksy. You'll have to remove the brake lever and the foot peg.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Had that problem on the XS650 when I first got it. Just keep hammering away at it. Center stand, in gear and brakes is a good way to do it. If that doesn't work, try getting it started in first, pull the clutch in and accel/decel until it lets go. Might need a little back and forth action.

Of course, the best way would be to take it apart and do things right, but that's a lot of work.

Comment

Hour to an hour and a half at the most.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    My money is on the clutch plates being stuck since it sat so long. If the cable puller arm were in the wrong notch the lever pressure would be INSANELY stiff! Let us know who's right! Ray.
                    Ray, you can set these up the other way with the puller arm set too far clockwise and the clutch lever would feel insanely easy (the idiot typing this just did it!)
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      Ray, you can set these up the other way with the puller arm set too far clockwise and the clutch lever would feel insanely easy (the idiot typing this just did it!)
                      could you please explain?
                      thanks
                      i would have thought that the easiest operation on the clutch lever would be when the clutch puller arm travels equal distance both sides of perpendicular to the pulling cable
                      GS850GT

Comment

Actually, it felt easier because you shortened the cable travel by doing that & it wasn't even moving the pressure plate. Ray.

Comment

OK, I pulled the fibers and steels, put the fibers in fresh oil overnight and cleaned the steels. They were clean and didn't seem to be stuck, reinstalled everything and still have the same problem. I can shift into first,but no further. While on the center stand, in 1st the wheel spins with the clutch lever in or out. cannot up shift. I checked the trans oil and it was rather low. I filled it until oil ran out the full hole, same thing, can't shift. The manual suggests the shifting forks could be bent or broken, I acctually didn't drive it when I bought it(only running on 3 cyl)The PO said he was riding it the day before without any problems. Other then running on 3 and sometimes 4 cyl. Almost decided to keep it because it was running so well. What should I do next??

Andy
                          1984 GS1100GK
                          1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

I'd say it not disengaging because its not adjusted correctly.

Comment

That sounds reasonable. Trans problems are really my strong suit. Any ideas as to how to adjust the trans?

Andy
                              1984 GS1100GK
                              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Working...
                              X