not getting fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not getting fuel

I have an 82 1100 gl that is getting spark getting fuel fro mthe tank but doesnt seem to be getting through the T into the carbs.. I have recently cleaned these carbs and everything seemed fine....but no fuel in the bowls..I have spayed a little compressed air through them and it seems to be going in ok so now what?

If you have NO fuel in the bowls Check the fuel petcock, fuel filter and fuel lines Fuel line connects between the # 2 & 3 Carbs On #2 carb is the vacuum line that goes to the petcock. Turn fuel to ON Remove the fuel line from the petcock. NO fuel should be flowing, turn to prime and the fuel should flow. Ok Next turn back to On and suck on the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum fitting on the petcock. Fuel should flow. IF not you need to replace/rebuild the petcock

Comment

Hey Bowtie,

This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to cover all bases. You did hook up the vacuum line correctly, right? And the vacuum line/hose was still in good condition, i.e. no leaks/holes, etc.?
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

the petcock was my first thought.. cleaned and replaced..wrks good getting fuel through the hose...still no fuel in the bowls thus non runninng

Comment

Try this: Take the carbs off the bike. Take the float bowls off the carbs.
          Turn the petcock on you fuel tank to prime. See if fuel runs out the hose.
          Hold carbs right side up without the float bowls installed and hook up the fuel line with the petcock on prime. If fuel flows out the bottoms of the bowls, then your floats are set so that any movement of the float shuts off the fuel flow. If no fuel flows with the floats hanging down and the float needles wide open, then the blockage has to be between the fuel Tee on the carbs and in the feed tube or the carbs.

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
          the petcock was my first thought.. cleaned and replaced..wrks good getting fuel through the hose...still no fuel in the bowls thus non runninng
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thanks earl just what I needed to hear, found the roblem....CLOGGED and I mean CLOGGGGGGED "T" inlet.. all seems to be well just a few more wires and ill be a motorin!! YIPPPPEEE

Comment

ok Earl m gonna try the upside down setup, cleared that "T" but it still doesnt seem to get anything to the float bowls... I am gonna throw a good one out there for ya also gonna put it in a post for others....Will a FUel filter restrict the flow enought that the fuel pressure cant flow through it enough(does that make sense???) I have a generic filter(think it was for a lawn mower) get great flow to it but when I break the line going to the carb from the filter(w/o the bike running obviously )it just drips at a slow rate...Im reaching for answers Earl and I know you probably have them you have saved me so far!!!!And believe me I am greatful!Thanks

Comment

Also on a similar not I know these things are mostly vaccuum assist gravity feeds... HOw much does gravity effect the fuel getting to the carbs???

Comment

Bybowtie,

This will probably not help if you say you already checked the petcock for proper functioning and fuel flow but I'll throw it in anyway. Somebody ones gave me this easy & quick tip. If you have problems with fuel flow, first of all try opening & closing the fuel cap on the fuel tank and check if it makes a difference in the flow rate. If it does you found your problem already. When the fuel level is lowered in the tank due to the flow to the carbs it has to be replaced by outside air. If the outside air is somehow restricted from flowing into the tank it creates an under pressure which will reduce and eventually stop the fuel flow to the carbs as the gravity of the fuel will be countered by this under pressure (especially with a gas tank low on fuel). As I said it's a quick & easy check. It does sound like it will not help solve your specific problem but, if nothing else, it would help you eliminate another aprt of the fuel system in your trouble shooting process.

Digno

Comment

Working...
                  X