78 GS 750 just... shut off. Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 750 just... shut off. Help!!

Hello everyone. I was riding my GS750 (78) at about 35mph when I began to (barely) hear a periodic "clink" from the motor. I began to pay closer attention and began to feel a very slight "sputter" of the engine. At a light I looked over and realized I was very low on oil. One block later, my "beautiful one" just shut off! I went and got a quart of oil - poured it in, but the thing would not start again. No lights come on at the panel when I turned the bike's ignition. No electrical workingwhatsoever. The engine would not start even when I tried to use my kickstart.

Even when I brought it home and connected the battery to a charger - no luck. No lights, no display lights. Nothing. Anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Blown fuse or a bad short

Whatever it is, it's electrical
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

mine did that and it turned out to be a broken fuse clip.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Originally posted by acortes View Post
        At a light I looked over and realized I was very low on oil.
        The site glass is meaningless while the bike is running and for 5 to 10 minutes afterward. You probably have to much oil in the bike now.

Originally posted by acortes View Post
        No lights, no display lights. Nothing. Anyone have any idea what may be going on?
        Seems electrical. Get your multimeter and manual and go thru the electrical troubleshooting guide. You should be able to have the fault identified in short order.

Good luck and post back what you find.

Comment

Working...
        X