Float Needle O-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Needle O-rings

Good lord I am a retard. I was getting the name of two different parts mixed up. Sorry, thanks for the help Dr!!

I am in the process of rebuilding the carb on my 79 GS750 and have everything torn apart. A couple different threads on here have talked about replacing the float needle o-rings but in the o-ring kit I purchased from cycleorings.com it doesn't have anything listed for those. My bike did have 1 thin and 1 thicker "orange plastic" ring below and above the clip that keeps the needle in place. Are these the o-rings or are they supposed to be little black pieces of rubber like a normal o-ring? If I am missing them where do they go? Thanks for any help

Mike H
    Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM. Reason: Mixed up parts

Can't rememeber the name of the part off the top of my head right now for some reason, but the float pin sits in a tube that is held down by a small metal piece and a screw. When the screw is removed, that whole tube (which also has a tiny filter on it) will pull out. It has an o-ring on it. Float tube.... that's what I'm thinking. Look at the carb rebuiild series from the in the garage section.

Comment

Originally posted by MTHughes View Post
      A couple different threads on here have talked about replacing the float needle o-rings but in the o-ring kit I purchased from cycleorings.com it doesn't have anything listed for those. My bike did have 1 thin and 1 thicker "orange plastic" ring below and above the clip that keeps the needle in place.
      I see you have edited your original post, but for the sake of other "newbies"...

The needle that is held in place with a circlip and has the two spacers, is NOT the float needle. It is the jet needle. It is located in the slide that is part of the diaphragm assembly. As the slide moves, the jet needle goes up and down in the needle jet, sometimes called an emulsion tube.

The FLOAT needle is, remarkably enough, somewhat connected to the FLOATS, those big things that regulate how much fuel is allowed to sit in the FLOAT bowls. Once you have removed the floats, you can remove the float needle and inspect it. What you don't want to see is a groove around the tip. If the tapered area is all smooth, the needle is good. Now remove the housing the needle was sitting in by removing the Philips-head screw and pulling it out. THAT is where you will find the o-ring that comes in the kit. While you have that assembly out, inspect the filter screen that should be attached. Clean it carefully and re-install it after you have dipped the rest of the carb parts. Put a drop of oil on the o-ring before inserting it into its bore to help prevent tearing it up.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You have VM carbs NO float needle seat O ring

Comment

Working...
        X