running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running rich

My bike is running rich as i have black sooty plugs. not wet. Certain threads say the air fuel screw controls air others say fuel. Which is it? In to richen or out. Thanks

It controls fuel. Out is rich. If you have stock carbs, out no more than 3 turns max. A normal setup would have them out 1.5 - 2 turns out.

Check the voltage to your coils. Less than 12 volts will cause an otherwise normal running bike to foul plugs. While you're at it, check the resistance of your primary and secondary windings on the coils. 3-5 ohm for the primary and around 32K ohm for the secondary, if they're OEM stock coils.

Comment

In or out depends on the carbs. Out richens for cv carbs, but leans VM carbs, if I'm not mistaken. What year is your bike?

Comment

1979 gs750 l .

Comment

I have the same bike.

You have a screw on the bottom of your VM carbs that adjusts the fuel mixture. I turn mine about 2 turns out. Turn them all the way in (gently, light hand till they stop), then turn 2 full turns out. Some turn them 2.5 turns out, but if your running rich, start with 2.

Then you have the screws on the side of your carbs; these adjust your air mixture. I would go 1 to 1.5 turns out. Again, lightly screw them in until they stop. Then back them out 1.5 turns. The more you turn them out, the leaner your burn will be.

Good Luck!

Comment

Before I start messing with the carb settings make sure the ignition is sound. Points, condensers and coils.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Before I start messing with the carb settings make sure the ignition is sound. Points, condensers and coils.

AMEN to that !! If you don't have a good, solid spark you can chase your tail forever trying to get it right with carb adjustments. My input on the fuel mixture screws was for a CV carb. Sorry. I didn't realize you had the old VM type.

Comment

Working...
              X