Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains

Anyone know a good way to tell if the chain needs tightening?
    I've heard 3/4 inch of play,1 inch of play,1 1/2 but, is that on the center stand or side stand?
    Tips for tightening the chain?

Best thing to do: get a shaft-driven bike!

Shaftie Nick

Comment

Thank You, Nick..... and now for a real answer. Always put the bike up on the center stand. Measure free play on the lower run of the chain, halfway between sprockets. It should be ~20 mm (.8 in) If it needs tightening, remove the cotter pin from the rear axle bolt & loosen it. A 15/16 in box wrench is a good fit on my 79 750. Loosen the locknuts on the two chain adjuster bolts and loosen the brake torque rod nuts. Turn the adjuster nuts clockwise to tighten the chain. Take it slow & always turn both bolts the same number of turns. When the tension is right, check the alignment marks to be sure it's straight & tighten the axle nut. Fit a new cotter pin & tighten the adjuster locknuts and torque rod nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

Shaftie Nick
        But remember that IF you want to buy a shaft-bike that you got to have proof that your at least over 50 years old otherwise you can't have it :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
          But remember that IF you want to buy a shaft-bike that you got to have proof that your at least over 50 years old otherwise you can't have it :twisted:
          Hey wait a minute, I'm Not Fifty 8O and I have an 1100G that is certainly no slouch. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill + Karen
            Hey wait a minute, I'm Not Fifty 8O and I have an 1100G that is certainly no slouch. Bill
            I second that 8)

Comment

At least we don't have dirty rims

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                I wipe mine off after every ride.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
                  Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  I wipe mine off after every ride.

Terry
                  Terry Terry

Comment

When adjusting the chain make sure that you do it on the tightest spot on the chain. This will vary from bike to bike. Otherwise you risk have the chain too tight over some of its travel.

I also usually make sure that the adjustment is ok when you are sitting on the bike. Once you do it once, adjusting it on the centrestand to the same tension makes it easy.

GS shaft drive bikes also have cam chains......

Comment

Why does it seem that all chains have tight and loose spots? :? Also, is it possible that sprockets can be drilled off center? :?

Comment

Shaftie Nick
                        I was 44 when I got my first one. I have 3 now and wouldnt give any of them up for a chain drive. BTW I'm still WAY under 50. On yeah an already retired once.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B

Shaftie Nick
                          I was 44 when I got my first one. I have 3 now and wouldnt give any of them up for a chain drive. BTW I'm still WAY under 50. On yeah an already retired once.
                          Your M.A. is about 137.

Comment

Humhead wrote:
                            Measure free play on the lower run of the chain, halfway between sprockets. It should be ~20 mm (.8 in)
                            Well I check my chain today, and when I grab the lower chain it moves about 1 1/2 from up to down when the bike is on the center stand. I can't imagine tightening up the chain to .8 of an inch in play. :?
                            What am I missing?
                            Besides a shaft drive.

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                              Originally posted by Bill + Karen
                              I second that 8)
                              I third that!!

Comment

Working...
                              X