No announcement yet.

Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think youre missing anything. 1 1/2" total sounds about right and is what I've been running this past three decades. :-) :-) Works for me. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Visionz
    Well I check my chain today, and when I grab the lower chain it moves about 1 1/2 from up to down when the bike is on the center stand. I can't imagine tightening up the chain to .8 of an inch in play. :?
    What am I missing?
    Besides a shaft drive.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Visionz
      Well I check my chain today, and when I grab the lower chain it moves about 1 1/2 from up to down when the bike is on the center stand. I can't imagine tightening up the chain to .8 of an inch in play.
      The trouble with adjusting it on the centerstand is it usually ends up too tight with the bike on the ground. I use a swingarm stand since it keeps the suspension geometry the same as if it were sitting on the ground.

Comment

I copied what I wrote out of the factory service manual for the 2 valve GS 1000.
        The trouble with adjusting it on the centerstand is it usually ends up too tight with the bike on the ground. I use a swingarm stand since it keeps the suspension geometry the same as if it were sitting on the ground.
        That's a really good point! It makes sense to check free play with the bike on its wheels & you on it. If you can get a friend to help just once, You can set the tension with you on the bike. As soon as you're done, Check it on the center stand. Make a note of the free play & set it this way from now on.
        I dont think youre missing anything. 1 1/2" total sounds about right and is what I've been running this past three decades. Works for me.
        Can't argue with that! I hope I didn't lead you astray. Sometimes the manual & real world experience don't quite match. When in doubt choose experience. I didn't ask the question, but I learned something valuable anyway. Thanks everyone!

Terry

Comment

Humhead wrote
          I didn't ask the question, but I learned something valuable anyway. Thanks everyone!
          Dido, Thanks crew!

Comment

hey now I am 26 w/2 1100gls am I wrong???? Like I always say its best to be on the right end of a good shafting!

Comment

Like I always say its best to be on the right end of a good shafting!
              I'd be careful if I were you......Fredricksburg is close enough to Washington DC to be dangerous....especially when congress is in session!

defende rectum
              Terry

Comment

this post deleted

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
                  Why does it seem that all chains have tight and loose spots? :? Also, is it possible that sprockets can be drilled off center? :?
                  In theory brand new chains shouldn't have tight spots. These appear as a chains wears the rollers wear a little and don't roll as well as they should.

I suppose you *could* drill a sprocket off centre, but for what pupose? It'd wobble like a great big cam lobe then!

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by sralph
                    Why does it seem that all chains have tight and loose spots? :? Also, is it possible that sprockets can be drilled off center? :?
                    In theory brand new chains shouldn't have tight spots. These appear as a chains wears the rollers wear a little and don't roll as well as they should.

I suppose you *could* drill a sprocket off centre, but for what pupose? It'd wobble like a great big cam lobe then!

Sam
                    I think that Clone means that id the sprockets were drilled off centre that would explain the tight spots even if you have a new chain, not try to do it on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo

Sam
                      I think that Clone means that id the sprockets were drilled off centre that would explain the tight spots even if you have a new chain, not try to do it on purpose.
                      I figured as much, I was trying to be witty, but I failed miserably
                      sam

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo

Sam
                        I figured as much, I was trying to be witty, but I failed miserably
                        sam
                        I think that in this case the failing was on the recieving end... :roll:

Comment

I ask because it seems that even with a new chain and sprockets there still seems to be a tight spot. so I was curious.
                          thanks for replying. 8)

Comment

I think its improbable that sprockets could be machined off center enough to cause the chain to go tight in spots considering the amount of slack that is intentionally allowed in the chain/sprocket combination. I have removed chains and checked them one link at a time for freedom of movement, and I can always find spots in the chain that are less free than others. Unfortunately, I have not come up with a way to increase the clearances on a peened pin and sideplate assembly. :-)

Oddly, the problem of tight links and jerky tracking has proven to be worse with the more expensive "O" ring chains than it ever did with the plain heavy duty chains. Consequently, I have decided to stop using "O" ring chains because I am not happy with their lack of smoothness. When the "O" ring chains I am now running start to show wear, I'll be replacing them with non "O" ring chain and adding Scott automatic oilers to my bikes.

Earl

I ask because it seems that even with a new chain and sprockets there still seems to be a tight spot. so I was curious.
                            thanks for replying. 8)

Comment

Working...
                            X