Pilot vs. Idle mixture screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot vs. Idle mixture screw

I asked this question on the end of an older thread, but its pretty much buried so I'll start a new thread.

On the CV Carbs, what differences do the idle mixture screw vs. the pilot jet have on low end/slight throttle? Does one affect mixture more in a different range than the other? Or are they the exact same circuit, and one just compensates for the other?

Thanks!

The screw provides a range of fine adjustment in the pilot circuit. Once it reaches the limits of it's adjustment you then need to look at pilot jets or pilot air jets.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Air enters the pilot air jet and pulls gas from the main jet. Since the needle is blocking the main jet it is diverted through the pilot jet and premixed with air from the pilot air jet. It is then regulated with the idle mixture screw. All the circuits affect the others. If you are rich with the pilot circuit the needle circuit will start rich and tuning you will have to compensate for it. The same applys for the needle circuit to the main jet circuit.
      Ideally you want all the circuits to be right so you pass through all circuits with no hesitation or hiccups.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

the pilot fuel jet and the idle mixture screw are a part of the same circuit (that also includes a pilot air jet)

1. the pilot fuel jet dictates the maximum amout of fuel in the pilot circuit

2. the idle screw moderates the amount of the air-fuel mixture (that mixture due to the combination of the function of the pilot fuel jet and pilot air jet) that is discharged into the cylinders

A. when the throttle is closed the amount of the pilot mixture released into the cylinders is controled ONLY by the pilot mixture screw

B. when the throttle is very slightly opened, part of the pilot mixture by-passes the mixture screw and is discharged into the main venturi tube directly where it mixes with the main airflow

---

the idle mixture screw gives you a finer and easier adjustment of the pilot circuit than if you had to change the pilot air and/or fuel jets
        e.g. - on 2.5 turns out on the mixture screws my bike backfires a lot on deceleration, but at 3.5 turns out it doesnt backfire at all
        Last edited by psyguy; 07-24-2008, 03:43 AM.
        GS850GT

Comment

Chef and psyguy beat me to it, all I was going to say was that the pilot fuel jet and the pilot air jet set the ratio for the pilot mixture. The adjustment screw only regulates how much of that mixture gets into the main air stream.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Chef and psyguy beat me to it
            heh, steve, i can relate to that...
            because of the time difference (between here and most other places on earth) and so many responses sometimes only minutes after the first post i often find it redundant to add anything else
            what a great forum!
            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
            X