testing a starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testing a starter

I have recently purchased a 1982 GS850G in need of a bit of help. I have made headway but this evening even after putting the battery on the charger it would not turn over.

This is not altogether a surprise as i thought either the Batterry or the starter was bad. A battery is easy to test and it may not be great but it will hold 13.5 volts for a while.

I pulled the starer and decided to have a look. Nasty black ugly worlds inside that starter. the brushes were little nubs. I had contacted the PO to check on the starter and he indicated it was a recent replacement. It had a hard life before it came to this bike.

Now for the question. Should a starter spin if I use a 2 amp charger on it? Hook the red clip to the bolt and the black clip to the housing. should that spin the starter. It tries to spin but not quite there.

Any thoughts?

2 amps? Probably not although I am not an expert. I have not looked in a manual but they might give the current draw for the starter.

Try it off a battery if you can. Even a car battery if you are just doing a quick test. The starter (unless it's bad) should not draw more current then is needed. The part I am unsure about is if the starter is unloaded. ie. not attached to the motor.

C
    1983 750 Katana
    1982 750 Katana (parts use)
    1983 RZ350

Comment

the starter is on my kitchen counter

Comment

Robin,

I THINK I have spun a starter (out of the bike) with a 1 amp trickle charger but I'm not positive (no pun intended). ...........................I guess that's not much help.......

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Test it on your car battery with some jumper cables. Put the positive on the connection for the wire and just touch the negative to the end where the starter bolts in.

If it tests bad I have one sitting on my kitchen counter if you need it.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If it is good it will try and jump out of your hands. Try www.stockers.com for new brushes

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              If it is good it will try and jump out of your hands. Try www.stockers.com for new brushes
              Yes, a starter will turn quite readily with power from the 2 amp charger.

Since it is has been removed from the engine it is free from load, so you will have more than enough power there.

Lynn is right, it will try to move as soon as electrical contact is made because it generates a lot of torque.

Stockers is definitely the way to go for new brush sets. I would go a step farther and recommend you buy the complete plate/brush assembly from them as there is only a small cost difference and it is ready to assemble immediately upon receipt.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X