No announcement yet.

81 GS850GL won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bad intake leak (too much air getting in) or tight valves could be the problem too

i know, it doesnt explain why the bike suddenly wont start after you only removed the choke cable
    GS850GT

Comment

FYI Re Prime position on tap - yes check the fuel tap for flow - my GS has a near new OEM petcock - yet even on "Prime" with the hoses disconnected so i could see what was happening, fuel would not always flow - until i applied a little vacuum to the vac line - then it would "pop" and open.

Vapour lock in the tank? Unlikely i guess.

An inspection of my tap on removal showed it to be full of ****e from the bottom of the tank which needless to say has now been given the POR15 treatment and a respray while i was at it.

Also check that the vacuum line is connected to the correct carb for your model.
      J

Comment

OK then - filth from the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it running better than it ever has. I must have dislodged some crap in the tank when I removed it which in turn clogged my petcock and or carbs. I added some fuel system cleaner to the tank and let it sit over night. This morning I tried to start it and she cranked up first try. I didn't even need to use the choke. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

glad you got it going but the story is strange indeed
            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
            X