Is it faulty wiring??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it faulty wiring??

OK, I know I have a problem in the charging system (I have to put it on a battery tender at night or it won't have enough charge to start in the morning) on my bike 1981 750L, and I have not had time to trace and replace parts to eliminate this problem.
    Buuuttt, now I have another problem with the bike.
    The symptoms: On my way home from work, the bike completely shut off/no elect. power-I found a ground wire going to the frame had a bad connector. Replaced connector. Bike started fine. This morning went to go to work and while going down the road, the bike felt like it was cutting out, when I watched the gear indicator I noticed it was flickering off and on.
    I went back home and noticed that with the engine running or stopped, the neutral light would flicker.
    Is this just a wiring problem still or could it be a battery problem??
    Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM.

Probably wiring, but you can never rule out the battery

Have you checked that mass of wires by the battery? It's typical that the bullet connectors go bad and overheat, causing a lot of melting.

That may also be your charging problem. Follow the stator wires up under the seat and check there.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I guess I'm going to have to put a bunch of new connectors in this weekend.
      And probably pick up a new battery if that doesn't work.

Comment

You have a wiring problem.

The neutral light should function only when the ignition switch is in "ON" position, and if it is flickering when in use then this indicates a fault in the wiring, every time.

Since you have other problems as well, the first thing to look at is the ground connection and the first thing to do with it is also the easiest: install a secondary ground wire between the battery negative post and the frame.
        Use an 8 AWG cable.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

UPDATE
          Well I finally had the time to go over the wiring and found the main pos. wire going from the batt. to the fuse block had corrosion at a bullet terminal.
          That solved, now I still have the charging problem to figure out.
          Put the ground on the r/r going straight to the batt. but no change there. Still only get to and from work on a charged battery and then bike won't rank after the two starts.
          Going to try to work on it more this weekend, but just picked up new flooring for the house and wife said she is picking up paint for kids room so I don't know how much I will be able to get done.

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
            ... but just picked up new flooring for the house and wife said she is picking up paint for kids room so I don't know how much I will be able to get done.
            Sounds like you're going to get a LOT done, but it just might not be on the bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X