HELP wher do i go from here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP wher do i go from here

i have a 83 gs850gl. i bought it non running condition. i rebuilt the carbs . pput in new intake boots and o rings. the bike wouldn't start after all that.it would try but not be able to. i took #3 spark plug out to check for spark and the bike fired up. and if i take 2 and 3 out. it ran i checked for spark and all four plugs have good spark.i tested the compression ,i know your suppost to check it warm. but i just wanted to see if the valves where working ok. 1 and 4 have 115pounds. number 3 had nothing at all. and 2 have 15 pounds.i shined a light into 2 and 3 . both pistons and valves are working. so where do i go from here. how do you check valve timing? and is that the next step.

You need to check valve clearance.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mandatory!!! Check the valve clearances DON'T worry about the valve timing its OK. Make sure the plug wires are routed correct Left coil to 1&4 Rt coil to 2&3

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Mandatory!!! Check the valve clearances DON'T worry about the valve timing its OK. Make sure the plug wires are routed correct Left coil to 1&4 Rt coil to 2&3
        Also keep in mind that any reference to left and right refer to left and right as you are sitting on the bike.

That means that the left side of the bike (and cylinder #1) would be your clutch hand, the right side (and cylinder #4) would be your throttle hand.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you can confirm the correct timing while you have the cam cover off for checking the valve clearances
          download the manual from bikecliff's website for details
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X