83 gs 1100L final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs 1100L final drive

I've read somewhere on this site that 83's have a higher gear ratio than 82's due to thier final drive. Does anyone know how much higher it is? I see a few from 82's on ebay and was wandering if it was really noticeable, or if I should hold out till I come across a 83.

The gearing inside the transmission for 5th gear is a wee bit different in some GS850GL models vs. their GS850G brothers. I don't remember which, but you're welcome to peruse the fiches and compare part numbers until your eyeballs bleed if you'd like to know. I don't know if there were any G/GL internal gearing changes on the 1000 and 1100 shafties.

The gearing in the final drive (the rear "pumpkin") is the same for all the 850+ shafties except it was a little taller in the GK model. (The GS1100GK was the full dress tourer, and is quite rare.)

So a few people have transplanted GK final drives onto their more pedestrian shafties (simple bolt-on), and report a roughly 4% drop in rpms at speed. Exactly why this is considered desirable or worth the trouble, I don't really understand.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

From what I have heard it changes the RPM about 300 It is 3.09 vs 2.91 or something close. The big difference between the 850 and the 1000/1100 is the secondary gear set is different (higher) they are not interchangable
      Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Fuel economy? Frankly I dunno that Id like it on my 1100G. It suits the GK, as its a long range road tourer. My G, i want to have pleanty of balls. Big balls. But, I'll soon be able to compare the two

Comment

Working...
        X