1150 carbs fit on an 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 carbs fit on an 850?

Will a set of 1150 carbs fit on my bike that is an 82' 850?

I think the carbs themelves are all the same (there are only 2 types I believe) but you will need to change the jets.

One of the other guys will be able give you more info on actual jetting etc.

Comment

Here is the guy on this website selling them..

Comment

A 36mm on a 32mm. Too much carb in my opinion. Unless of course you are heavily modded. Good luck getting them into the intake boots.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          A 36mm on a 32mm. Too much carb in my opinion. Unless of course you are heavily modded. Good luck getting them into the intake boots.
          I stand corrected. I thought the carb bodies were all much the same size. You learn something everyday.

Cheers

Comment

Well allright. That settles my question. Thanks guys

Comment

If I recall correctly (and that doesn't happen much any more ), the 650 thru 850 use 32mm carbs, the 1000 and 1100 use 34 mm and the 1150 uses 36.

Somebody else will have to verify and/or correct me. Please do.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If I recall correctly (and that doesn't happen much any more ), the 650 thru 850 use 32mm carbs, the 1000 and 1100 use 34 mm and the 1150 uses 36.

Somebody else will have to verify and/or correct me. Please do.

I do believe i read somewhere, and I TOO may be wrong, that the 1150 used a 35mm carb? Seems odd, but i swear i read it, because i thought it was odd at the time.

Comment

some are 32,34,36mm inside dia. BUT the outside dia is the same for all
                  SO they will fit but you will loose some low end grunt

Comment

How come the 1150 intake boots are different than the 1100s. The carbs have the same spacing.
                    I had one heck of a time getting the 36s on my 1100 boots.
                    Slip right on now that I've had them on and off at least 200 times
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      some are 32,34,36mm inside dia. BUT the outside dia is the same for all
                      SO they will fit but you will loose some low end grunt
                      ditto

BUT, the main air jet size would be different (and is not changeable) so you may have trouble jetting the carbs correctly for your application
                      GS850GT

Comment

Ok, thanks psyguy. Thought I had a break for a minute to get another set of carbs to exchange the diaphragms. My 2 dia's dont have any rips/tears on the inside or the rim. It's just on the very outside you can see the tiny rips/tears. It's not bad though. But i bought new intake boots, intake o-rings, float needles (cuz some of the floats were "bottoming out"-Some of the needle floats didn't really have a good spring for the float to bounce up and down. Thought id replace them to prevent them sticking and so forth.) Also bought some replacement pilot jets of the same size because my mechanic and whoever else was in my carbs basically chipped piece by very tiny piece where you put the screw driver in to loosen/tighten. I had one hell of a time trying to get those out because I couldnt get a good grip to loosen with the right screwdriver. Had to soak em for a good 15 min. Thats my story and im stickin to it!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          How come the 1150 intake boots are different than the 1100s. The carbs have the same spacing.
                          I had one heck of a time getting the 36s on my 1100 boots.
                          Slip right on now that I've had them on and off at least 200 times
                          It appears that some folks just like tinkering with their carbs
                          Anyway, if it's got t*ts or wheels, it's gonna give you some grief!
                          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
                            Ok, thanks psyguy. Thought I had a break for a minute to get another set of carbs to exchange the diaphragms.
                            the diaphragms alone would work, they are the same
                            however, imho, if youre buying a whole set of carbs get the right ones so you have other parts readily usable - then you can have a whole spare set (minus the diaphragms, but they are easy to swap between carbs)
                            GS850GT

Comment

Very true. But since I have already bought all the other parts like I mentioned earlier, the diaphragms would be a bonus. But my question is that if my rips/tares are very very tiny on the outside of the diaphragm and not inside or on the edge of the inside, does it still affect the whole vacuum issue?? Im going to take a couple of pics for you to look at tomorrow when it is sunny. I know that if there is any sort of rip or tear no matter how small, it is wise to replace the diaphragm. But since the tare is not on the inside, I dont wanna spend that x amount to replace the diaphragms if I dont have to.

Comment

Working...
                              X