Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember the bent shift rod?? It gets worse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember the bent shift rod?? It gets worse....

So I was getting the old bent shift rod no problem when one swipe of the hammer breaks the clutch side hole that the shift rod goes through out. I cut the rod with a dremmel as close as I could to the engine and it still had a nice hook on it. Got it pounded out of the left side and the clutch cast side could not take the bend. Mjor bummed at the moment. I will post some pics soon...
    Looks like it might be cheaper at this point to look for another engine for the GS650E.
    What else will bolt in there?

Well that sucks. I am going into Reno tomorrow to take some pipes and carbs off a 650 ('82, I think). The engine seems to be all there, but I don't know if it runs... I can try and find out. But even if it doesn't, you could use the cases. PM me if you are interested.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

That stinks.. Pictures I'm sure would confirm the condition of your engine.

I don't know how much luck you will have in finding another 650e engine, as these bikes are kinda on the rare side of the GS line. I'd start looking around though, and also keep your eye out for complete bikes, you may be able to pick up a complete 550 or even a 650g for what it would cost to get an engine for the 650e.

BTW, where are you located at?

Amos

Comment

Where is home, rombi?

Comment

Home is near Green Bay WI.
          What other engine will fit in this bike? I have located both a gs750 and a gs550 engine but I do not know if it will fit. I guess I have to get the engine out anyway so I will start there.

Comment

is the inside of the case where the shifter rod on the clutch side aluminum or magnisium Sp?

Comment

Does anyone know if that is magnesium

Comment

It's aluminum....and it's possible that if you have the broken piece a good welder could fix it....
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

From all the pictures looked as though it was possible. Now this has happened. Has the bent shaft come out?
                  You may be lucky and can have it welded back all OK. Finding another engine may be harder.

Suzuki mad

Comment

I was hoping that it is aluminum and that it could be welded. Besides having the holes line up and hold the end of the shift rod in the correct spot it doesn't do much. I think there is enough room to get some welding done in there. 20/20 I should have pulled it out as far as I could and then cut the rod again and push it back into the engine. The Big F Hammer method strikes again.

Comment

What is your opinion...
                      The part that broke out actualy broke in two. The bottom one has the hole in it and fits on the engine great. I am going to JB weld it so it stays and then have someone weld it if possible. Do you think welding the bottome is enough. the top part mushroomed a little and no longer fits. There is not much pressure on this part so I am thinking that it will hold.

Comment

Working...
                      X