umm, really stupid question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm, really stupid question...

how the devil do you guys get the GS850G on the center stand by yourself? I'm no small potatoes at 6'5" 220lbs, but I'll be damned if I can wrestle this portly bike up onto the stand alone. Usually I get the wife to give the front end a bit of a shove when I'm standing on the centerstand foot lever and pulling back on the handlebars.

Is there some super secret method, or do I just need to pack on another 30 pounds of muscle?

Make sure both feet of the stand are touching the ground, then it's easy. If you've got it leaned so one foot is off, it's next to impossible.

Comment

Standing on the left side of the bike, you would put your left hand on the left handle bar and your right hand on the handle near the seat. As you push down on the centerstand with your foot pull up on the handle at the rear and pull back on the handlebar. The bike will come right up on the stand.

Comment

Don't use both hands on the handlebars to pull it back. I use my left hand on the handlebar grip to steady the bike. The leaverage comes from putting all of your weight on the arm on the center stand and using your right hand on the handle toward the rear of the bike. Lift up and back with that hand and arm as you push your weight on the arm of the center stand. Usually a quick motion will pop the bike up.

Bob
        Current:
        2008 BMW R1200RT
        Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
        1979 Suzuki GS550E
        1979 Suzuki GS850G
        1980 Suzuki GS850G
        1983 Suzuki GS1100E
        2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
        2004 BMW R1150 RT
        2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

I am able to get my 1100 up on the center stand by myself and I'm only
          5'8'' and 165. Its a matter of pulling up on the bike as you push down with your foot on the stand. Face the bike, I grab my crash bar, there should be a rail along your seat and pull and step at the same time and it should come up.
          A little practice I'm sure you can do it. Good luck happy riding.

Comment

Here is a video that shows how its done

Comment

Technique

Hi Mr. fallous,

Yes, make sure both feet of the center stand are touching the floor. Then grab somewhere on the frame with your right hand, perhaps under the seat. I have a luggage rack bolted to the frame which make a pretty good handle. Take the handlebar in your left hand - this is more for control rather than lifting. Press the center stand to the floor with your right foot, and makes sure both feet of the stand are touching the floor. Then press down hard with your right foot while lifting with your right hand, letting the bike roll back just a bit. It's more about pressing down with your right foot than lifting with your right hand. Leave the side stand out just in case you have to set the bike down again. After it's on the center stand, then you can fold up the side stand. I'm 6' @ 200lbs. I'm sure you can do it with a little practice.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The one important thing nobody has mentioned is that the centerstand is designed in such a way that you don't have to lift at all. Simply pull the motorcycle backwards while holding the stand in place with your foot and the bike will lift itself onto the centerstand.

Comment

it's just odd that I struggle with this bike, but can I can throw an XS850 on its centerstand pretty easily... and that thing is a pig. I'm just not using enough oomph on the rear of the bike I guess.

Comment

You should have 1 hand on the left grip and 1 hand on the grab handle by the seat. Push the stand down to contact the ground. KEEPING YOUR BODY CLOSE TO THE BIKE, pull up the grab handle and keep your foot firmly on the stand. The bike should go up and back to rest. You can add a little rearward pull at the grip but the bike should go up and back as intended. This assumes the stand is properly lubed/operating correctly.
                    Most people make it harder by leaning away from the bike/sticking out their arse as they try to get it up, thinking they can use their bodyweight to stop the bike from falling away from them. Mistake.
                    Tip: you can make it easier or practice if you like by taking an approx' 1" thick piece of wood and wheeling the rear tire up on that piece of wood first (as long as that doesn't present you with a problem). Then try it. Easier? Some even use a piece of standard 2X4 (closer to 1 5/8"?)
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                      You should have 1 hand on the left grip and 1 hand on the grab handle by the seat. Push the stand down to contact the ground. KEEPING YOUR BODY CLOSE TO THE BIKE, pull up the grab handle and keep your foot firmly on the stand. The bike should go up and back to rest. You can add a little rearward pull at the grip but the bike should go up and back as intended. This assumes the stand is properly lubed/operating correctly.
                      Most people make it harder by leaning away from the bike/sticking out their arse as they try to get it up, thinking they can use their bodyweight to stop the bike from falling away from them. Mistake.
                      Tip: you can make it easier or practice if you like by taking an approx' 1" thick piece of wood and wheeling the rear tire up on that piece of wood first (as long as that doesn't present you with a problem). Then try it. Easier? Some even use a piece of standard 2X4 (closer to 1 5/8"?)
                      my problem is that the centerstand just likes to skid across the concrete floor of my shop when I don't give it a good heave with someone pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by fallous View Post
                        my problem is that the centerstand just likes to skid across the concrete floor of my shop when I don't give it a good heave with someone pushing.
                        Don't pull back, just lift a little on the back wheel and push down hard with your foot.

Your garage floor must be too clean.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you are putting your weight on the centerstand it should not skid. Try puttin a piece of carpet or plywood down under the stand.

Comment

What works for me, although YMMV, is simple:

1) Put right foot on centerstand peg and plant your foot and it to the floor.
                            2) From the side of the bike, but up close to the frame center, put both hands on the handlebars and apply the front brakes
                            3) Push hard on the handlebars to compress the forks, and as they bounce back, just pull slightly rearward with the springs and the bike should pop up onto the centerstand, no problem. Use the mechanical advantage of the springs to do the lifting for you.

Good Luck.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I tend to let gravity do as much of the work as possible. I have found that if you lean over the bike a bit, you can get all your weight on your right foot, which is standing on the center stand. Now when you pull up on the grab handle, the bike almost jumps up there. That method works on all the GS bikes here as well as my Wing.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X