85 GS 700 vs gs1000 or 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS 700 vs gs1000 or 1150

hello all, I have an 85 GS 700E and i dont see alot of mods for this bike. for body, frame whatever. Does anyone know if the frame is pretty much the same as the 1000 or 1150 (dont know ich one it was they made that year) ? I know they dindt make the 700 but one year, and just wondering if its the same.

ANd while were at it, if it is, will it except and older like 83 1150 motor?

Digit:
    Does your frame have the funky aluminum colored square tube frame...if so, your frame is like my 84 1150.
    I,m of the opinion that the 700/750 frame would require major surgery to fit an 1150 motor.......and I'm afraid the fabricating would'nt be worth the benefits.
    The 700 version was a response to an FTC ruling that Harley-Davidson brought up accusing the japanese of "dumping" bikes of 750cc's and up on the American market.
    The response was to simply to build bikes well under the 750cc limit, thus avoiding the steep tariff assigned to those over 750ccs'.
    Rick.......

Comment

The frames are fairly similar and people have stuffed 1100 and 1150 motors in them. One of the motor mounts has to be redone. Another option is to stuff a GSX-R motor in. It's narrower with the alternator behind the cylinders and make much more power.

Comment

I hadn't heard of the GSX-R mod being done, how much needs to be done to make that work? What years are easier then others? Any specifics?

Comment

Some months back there was an '83 750 or 1100 that was bike of the month. It seems to me it was a 750. The guy had stuffed a GSX-R 750 or 1100 motor into the frame. Motor mounts were about all he had to deal with. He also raised the gas tank a bit for more clearance. As long as one uses an air/oil cooled motor the exhaust port spacing is the same so getting the exhaust mounted isn't a problem. The Gixxer motors are more compact so they will fit.

Comment

Fitting a GSXR motor into a GS does present one problem that requires you to decide which compromise you wish to go with cause a GSXR motor is not only narrower it is also shorter. So you need to decide if you want to mount it forward in the frame to weight up the front end for better handling, and suffer with a long chain whipping around . Or if you wish to mount it more rearwards to reduce this effect and also the admittedly small loss of handling.
            For more information go to http://www.robbynitroz.nl/ they have a huge amount on mods.
            Dink

Comment

Yes Dink, you will have this problem with 1150 frame, but not with 700 / 750 frame ( 83 - 88 ). In my opinion GSXR engine fits these frames best, because of its compact build - older GS 1100 / 1150 engines are simply too long.

Adam M.

Comment

Working...
              X