Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question

OK, I have just scored a GS850 sight unseen off eBay. I have done a search looking for some info on how to start a GS - I know, it sounds a bit basic, but I am used to my fuel injected GSX1400 that starts easily and with no additional help. I understand that the GS I have purchased has some problems (sounds like fuel related) and am preparing to re-build the carb (to start with!!), but what I would like to know is what is the starting procedure on these babies? Prime, choke, and go, or is there something else that needs to be done??
    Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM.

sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

Normally you can skip the 'prime' part, and typically you'd add 'wait a few minutes' after the Start step. These things can take a good while to get warmed enough to run properly.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I just use the choke and go. The only time I prime it is after a long winter (I don't ride it in the winter) or after it was fuel deprived due to work done on it. Good Luck. I hope you can enjoy it asap.

Ed

Comment

Full choke,NO throttle,hit the go button,let it warm,EeeHah.Cheers,Simon.
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Evidently everybody has already disconnected the dreaded clutch safety switch?

Beaker, in stock form, you must pull the clutch lever to enable the starter, so the starting drill would be (and this assumes that it has been ridden somewhat recently and the bike is in good running order):
            1) Set 'choke'. Each bike has its own 'happy spot' that might be somewhere between 1/2 and full.
            2) Pull 'choke' knob
            3) Ignition key ON
            4) Press starter button
            5) Do NOT apply any throttle. Modulate engine speed with the 'choke' knob to keep it around 2000-2500
            6) Put your helmet on
            7) Ride. If your bike is set up properly, by the time you get into second gear, you can turn off the 'choke'.

Note that 'choke' is in quotes. That is because it is not really a choke, it is an enricher system. Because of the way that system operates, if you apply any throttle, it destroys the vacuum that is pulling the extra gas through the carbs. Once the bike is running smoothly enough, you can use a bit of throttle, then you can use enough to drive off, but never use any throttle while starting the bike.

If your bike does not operate like this, the carbs can be adjusted so that it will.

When you get your bike, resist the urge to ride it. Especially with a 'new' bike, condition unknown, one of the first things you want to do is check the valve adjustment. The valves typically tighten up over time on these bikes, and that makes starting rather difficult. With properly set-up valves and carbs, your bike will start as easily as your fuel-injected 1400. The only difference is that you will have to control the cold idle speed, not the computer.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just like your GSX1400.

(Pull the choke knob up in the middle of the handle bars) Turn the key, and fire it up. No throttle.

The only difference is that the 1400 will automatically choke it against the 850 that 's on manual.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks heaps guys - your posts are really appreciated. Steve, the clutch in on start is obviously a Suzuki standard as the 1400 is the same.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2008, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X