Shell Rotella w/ Triple Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shell Rotella w/ Triple Protection

Been noticing some clutch slippage this year, and this seems to coincide with Shell Rotella adding "Triple Protection" to their 15w-40 I use. I'm not discounting that perhaps I need new springs, and have no problem doing that as simply preventative maintenance, but want to make sure I know what the actual problem is.

Is this "Triple Protection" the energy saving crap that can mess with our clutches? Or perhaps my clutch isn't adjusted correctly?

I'm leaving for a trip down to Philly and then over to Long Island on the 2nd or 3rd, so want to take care of this ASAP.

Help?

Thanks,
    /Mike

Does it have the "Energy Conserving" star on the label? If not, then it isn't.

Some oils don't like wet clutches, that's all.

Switch back to dino and see if it still slips.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
      Does it have the "Energy Conserving" star on the label? If not, then it isn't.

Some oils don't like wet clutches, that's all.

Switch back to dino and see if it still slips.
      Will do. Thanks.

Meanwhile, how much should new springs run me, just in case? And do you think it's possible to order them, receive them, and install them before August 2nd?

Comment

Mike,

Do a Google search for 'Shell Rotella Triple Protection' and you'll get some hits of others experiencing clutch slippage with this oil. Of course, each thread sparks a heated oil debate.......................

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
          Mike,

Do a Google search for 'Shell Rotella Triple Protection' and you'll get some hits of others experiencing clutch slippage with this oil. Of course, each thread sparks a heated oil debate.......................

Thanks,
          Joe
          Hahahaha! Lovely.

So...I should probably start another thread asking what oil everyone else suggests, right?*

Comment

Rotella 15W-40 is dino oil. Very good stuff. I doubt the problem with the clutch slipping is oil related. Energy Conserving oils are only on thin automotive oils - 30 weight and thinner.

The "Triple Protection" business is marking mumbo jumbo regarding the new formula bought out as a result of new emissions requirements for the 2007 model year diesel engines. New formula is reputed to have lesser amounts of zinc (which helps protect the valve train), but Shell increased some other additives to offset this loss. Overall, still a good oil choice for a GS...but not as good as the Rotella 5W-40 synthetic.
            Last edited by Nessism; 07-25-2008, 12:30 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Moly is the prime no no for clutches. Does the new rotella have it? I know the old stuff did not. Best way to know is contact shell or go to bob is the oil guy site and find a spec sheet. Just a energy conserving label is not enough because delo has moly in it and it is a 15-40 diesel oil with no energy label. Moly is great for car engines. Dan

Comment

I have been using the same oil (switched from GTX 10-40w) with good results in both my GS's. No clutch slippage.

I run 3 original stock springs & 3 EBC springs from Z1 (they cost about $8 a set from memory). The EBC's have 2 less coils than the stock on the G & 1 less coil than the stock on the Skunk.

It's not a synthetic & it doesn't have the energy conserving stuff... it is a good heavy duty oil however, great for high heat & heavy usage application like ours & being a 15-40w it doesn't break down as quickly as a 10-40w.

I ran GTX in my G last year to the rally - 1800 miles the same as this year on fresh oil. This year I ran the Rotella, same bike (running pods & a V&H 4:1 this year being only real changes), it was slightly less hot out there this year too.

Last year with GTX it really needed an oil change when I got back, shift was getting pretty ropey, this year they don't feel much different to when we started out on the fresh Rotella.

When I changed to the Rotella from GTX the shift improved slightly too.

Anyway, long answer to a short question... it's your clutch spring or glazed plates. Cheap & easy fix, chuck it on the side stand & switch three of them out, don't even need to drain the oil.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

From my personal experience, I ran the Rotella 5-40 only to find out my springs were weak, so new OEM Suzi springs, scuffed steels with 220 even added a washer.... this year, the bugger started slipping, so rescuffed and put in new fibers....OOOOOOOOOOOOH YEEEAAAAH, much better. NO SLIP.

Fibers get old; they harden and glaze.

SOHC4 guys run rotella 15-40 all day and don't have any problems with their wet clutches.

Comment

New springs on order, and oil will be changed.

Comment

Oil and moly

All I know about moly is that it became somewhat fashionable back in the '80s and, with the blessing of my local Suzuki dealer up in Madison, I started using it. I never had a problem with the clutch. !!!

-- Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X