Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about measuring valve clearances

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question about measuring valve clearances (my first time). It seems to me that I can get varying valve clearances by rotating the engine slightly (maybe 15 degrees) from the specified positions in BikeClliff’s guide. For example, my cylinder 4 intake measurement is <.0015” at 12:00 and .002” at 12:30. Because it’s hard to say what exactly is parallel/perpendicular to the gasket surface, this makes me question my measurement accuracy.

I verified that the cam shaft bearing caps were torqued to the minimum specified torque value or greater (they could be overtorqued?), and I've turned over the engine manually a couple of times to make sure things should be seated. Also, to be clear on my technique, positions are as follows:

1. To measure 1 & 2 exhaust, point #1 exhaust cam lobe forward/parallel to gasket surface
    2. To measure 3 & 4 exhaust, point #4 exhaust cam lobe forward/parallel to gasket surface
    3. To measure 1 & 2 intake, point #1 intake cam lobe upward/perpendicular to gasket surface
    4. To measure 3 & 4 intake, point #4 intake cam lobe upward/perpendicular to gasket surface

This ensures that neither of the two valves are depressed when measuring, which I understand to be the goal of this technique.

Does this suggest mechanical problems with the bike, bad technique, anything else? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks,
    Jack
    Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM.

Originally posted by teh_engr View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question about measuring valve clearances (my first time). It seems to me that I can get varying valve clearances by rotating the engine slightly (maybe 15 degrees) from the specified positions in BikeClliff’s guide. For example, my cylinder 4 intake measurement is <.0015” at 12:00 and .002” at 12:30. Because it’s hard to say what exactly is parallel/perpendicular to the gasket surface, this makes me question my measurement accuracy.

I verified that the cam shaft bearing caps were torqued to the minimum specified torque value or greater (they could be overtorqued?), and I've turned over the engine manually a couple of times to make sure things should be seated. Also, to be clear on my technique, positions are as follows:

1. To measure 1 & 2 exhaust, point #1 exhaust cam lobe forward/parallel to gasket surface
    2. To measure 3 & 4 exhaust, point #4 exhaust cam lobe forward/parallel to gasket surface
    3. To measure 1 & 2 intake, point #1 intake cam lobe upward/perpendicular to gasket surface
    4. To measure 3 & 4 intake, point #4 intake cam lobe upward/perpendicular to gasket surface

This ensures that neither of the two valves are depressed when measuring, which I understand to be the goal of this technique.

Does this suggest mechanical problems with the bike, bad technique, anything else? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks,
    Jack
    I do each one seperately by pointing the cam lobe directly opposite from the shim bucket or tappet.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Mr. teh_engr,

The procedure you outline is right out of the Suzuki Shop Manual. I don't think you can go wrong doing it by the book. And I like using millimeters (.03-.08mm) instead of inches (.001-.003") since the shims are marked in mm too. It just makes the math easier for mme.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by teh_engr View Post
        Because it’s hard to say what exactly is parallel/perpendicular to the gasket surface, this makes me question my measurement accuracy.
        if you look at the cams/lobes with your eye level to the gasket surface it's not that difficult to say what's paralel/perpendicular
        some cams have a slot on one end that makes it even easier to align with the gasket surface

other than that, yeah, you might be overthinking the issue

some wear on the cam jurnals oposite the cam lobes is possible, especially if the valves were run tight for a while
        the cams may have a min runout as well
        both would contribute to slightly different readings on the clearances when the lobes are in slightly different positions
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          other than that, yeah, you might be overthinking the issue
          I do that a lot- It's a bad habit.

I belive that I'm done with the valve check now, and all tolerances are below .004" (0.10mm). Most are probably less than 3.5mil (0.089mm) with the exception of the cylinder 1 intake valve clearance which is closer to .004" (I can get the 4 mil feeler gauge under the cam lobe on this valve only, but there is very noticeable drag).

Is .004" on an intake valve too loose? I do not have any additional shims of the appropriate size and none are available locally, so I will have to wait an additional week if this is excessive clearance.

Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

the specs are:
            0.03 - 0.08 milimeters
            a little bigger gap - up to 0.10 mm wont hurt
            GS850GT

Comment

I'll run with what I have now in that case. Thanks for the help.

-Jack

Comment

0.004" is technically out of spec, but many of us run it anyway. The alternative is to change the shim and take the clearance to just above the minimum. If you do that, you will likely have to change it at your next service interval, so you may as well leave it there for now.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X