Newbie Clutch cable install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Clutch cable install

Got a sweet 1980 GS450s which I broke the clutch cable on. I ordered a new one and plan on doing the install myself. Tinkered with the bike on certain projects but never really anything major.

I notice I'll have to take the tank off for this. Suggestions, tips, procedures that anyone has experienced doing the same clutch cable replacement would be greatly appreciated!

Thx in advance!

T

I've also got a 1980 GS450. I've done what you're about to do.
    The most annoying part of the task was getting the left crankcase cover off. Those Phillip head screws can strip VERY easily. Get an impact driver and make sure you use the right bit (a P3 bit is appropriate, NOT P2). I got mine at Home Depot for about $25. Once I figured out how to use it correctly, it was a breeze to get those screws out.

Comment

Originally posted by nabrams
      Get an impact driver and make sure you use the right bit (a P3 bit is appropriate, NOT P2). I got mine at Home Depot for about $25. Once I figured out how to use it correctly, it was a breeze to get those screws out.
      I agree -- an impact driver might be the best money you'll ever spend on a tool.

Michael

Comment

And once you get them out, buy some allen head bolts instead. It will save you many headaches. Everytime I pull out a phillips head screw I replace it with an allen head, so that next time I'm not dealing with buggered screw heads.

Comment

screws

Personally I like Robertson screws. Why is it that I can't find these in the U.S.? When I lived in Canada I used these often. Phillips screws are a pain.

Comment

Never knew that's what 'square drive' screws were called. I've seen them for wood applications, as I think they are big in furniture making, but never for machine screws. Seams like they would be a good alternative to the allen head.

Comment

cool cool. Left crank case cover has to come off huh? I iamganine the gas tank is coming off as well (just by quick inspection) tips on that, even procedure?

You guys rock BTW..... :-)

T

Comment

"imagine".....spelling just isn't my bag of tea....now computer security, well.....

T

Comment

Originally posted by oele23
                  "imagine".....spelling just isn't my bag of tea....now computer security, well.....

T
                  Go here and download this. www.iespell.com.

That will take care of the spelling problem.

Comment

Re: screws

Originally posted by canroc
                    Personally I like Robertson screws. Why is it that I can't find these in the U.S.? When I lived in Canada I used these often. Phillips screws are a pain.
                    Because they're Canadian. Must be some sort of "fastener embargo" against the lowly Robertson head fasteners. Can't let them into the US, or next thing you know you'll have to let in Whitworth fasteners! Hell, it's bad enough having to deal with Metrics!
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

iespell? ...hmmm, don't know how I am going to install that on my Linux box....hmmm....where's the source code for that? ;-)

T

Comment

Working...
                      X