Odd turn signal problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd turn signal problem.

Thanks for reading this. Does anything know what this could be or have you seen this problem?

My left turn signal doesn't want to work right. Turn it on, sometimes it works, sometimes it stays solid in the front, and doesn't light up in the back. This leads me to believe there is a problem in the electrics somewhere, but the thing is the turn signal will start working right if its solid if I rev the bike up.

I don't think my charging system is working right, but I don't think my stator is bad. Instead it seems like the charge isn't getting dumped into my battery. When I rev the bike up the lights on my instrument panel get brighter, when the bike drops down to idle they get dimmer. So it seems like the stator is producing current, but its not charging the battery? I'm pretty stumped on this one.

Maybe I'll have to get the voltmeter out when I get home and perform the stator test. I've read all the stator and electrical related stuff on cliffs website, and I'm hoping there is resistance somewhere and its not a bad stator because I can't afford to dump $100+ dollars more into my bike.

Hi Mr. Draketh,

There's a pretty simple troubleshooting procedure to test the turn signal relay. If the voltage is too low at the relay, charge the battery. If the voltage is what it should be, replace the relay. Your manual should give you more detail. Do you have auto-canceling turn signals?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

a bad ground in the turn signal circuit would give you your symptoms
      reving the engine adds some vibration and helps re-establish the lost connection
      maybe
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi Mr. Draketh,

There's a pretty simple troubleshooting procedure to test the turn signal relay. If the voltage is too low at the relay, charge the battery. If the voltage is what it should be, replace the relay. Your manual should give you more detail. Do you have auto-canceling turn signals?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        No, I turn them off myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
          When I rev the bike up the lights on my instrument panel get brighter, when the bike drops down to idle they get dimmer. So it seems like the stator is producing current, but its not charging the battery? I'm pretty stumped on this one.
          this may be due to only a bad battery or bad connections from the r/r
          clean all those connections and see if this symptom persists
          GS850GT

Comment

Sorry, but your left turn signal should never work right.

If the front signal comes on steady, that means the rear signal is not working. Use your test light or a meter to determin whether you have power at the rear turn signal lead. If you do, follow the path to the bulb socket. Next, verify that the bulb is good. Better yet, replace the bulb. The filament might be just barely touching its post. Verify that the rear signal has a good ground. Once all these have been assured, your signals should work properly.

If the signals don't work unless you rev the engine, your voltage is a bit low. This could be a charging problem or a battery problem. Easiest way to tell is to use your meter across the battery. Check the voltage with the bike turned OFF. Should be over 12.6. Turn the key ON, voltage might drop to 12 or just under. Press the starter, voltage should not drop below 10.5 volts. If it does, you have a bad battery. Once the bike is running, check the voltage. It might only be 12-13 or so while idling, but should rise to 14 or more by the time you get to 2500 rpm. It might drop a few tenths after its peak, but should remain above 14 volts at normal operating speeds, which is 4000 rpm and up.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like a bad ground maybe battery to frame. Seems the head lights are sucking up all the juice till u rev it up, so I'd think the charging is ok. As always check and clean your connections. O second thought look at the connectors around the plug that goes to the engine stop switch its under the tank mine was melted due to it being to low near the motor and I suspect from it age too the 12+ comes from the fuse box and goes to the stop switch and the and the head lights and the power goes through that connector on my bike and to the flashers too I should have said
              Happy hunting..
              Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X