Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS750L with Mac exhaust, jetting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750L with Mac exhaust, jetting question.

Hello all, I am about to rebuild my carbs on my new to me 750. The PO put on a Mac exhaust on there, but I'm not sure if he rejetted the carb to match. How would I go about checking that I am running the right jets? Assuming they are wrong how would I go about finding what jets I'm using. Still running a stock airfilter on the other end of things. Thanks in advance!

I don't think the Mac pipe warrants a jetting change.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That's the answer I was secretly hoping for, but am still new to all this. I wanted to cover my bases instead of finding out otherwise after redoing everything.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        I don't think the Mac pipe warrants a jetting change.
        I would disagree, as I'm running that very setup (mac 4-1, stock airbox, stock jetting), and I'm less than pleased with the way it runs.

Takes a bit too long IMO to 'heat up' and be ready to ride (at least 3-5 minutes idle from dead cold to not gag from 3-4K on takeoff) , also pops like CRAZY on decel/let-off, and lacks the low end kick I think it should have.

Now I will say that I'm not terribly sure if it's dirty carbs causing my issue as I've never run it without the Mac, but these are the issues I have and I can't help but attribute them to jetting issues.

I think a DJ 1 Kit would do this thing wonders. But I'm not a carb expert so take it for what its worth.

Comment

Takes a bit too long IMO to 'heat up' and be ready to ride (at least 3-5 minutes idle from dead cold to not gag from 3-4K on takeoff) , also pops like CRAZY on decel/let-off, and lacks the low end kick I think it should have.
          Could be dirty carbs or carbs that are out of sync.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
            I would disagree, as I'm running that very setup (mac 4-1, stock airbox, stock jetting), and I'm less than pleased with the way it runs.

Now I will say that I'm not terribly sure if it's dirty carbs causing my issue as I've never run it without the Mac, but these are the issues I have and I can't help but attribute them to jetting issues.

I think a DJ 1 Kit would do this thing wonders. But I'm not a carb expert so take it for what its worth.
            Blame it on the carbs. I'm always ready to fix em up.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

whats wrong with mac pipes ? i think thats whats on mine , it would be the small short can one.
              my cams are webcams 70-282 anyone heard of them ? (i thought that was computer crap )
              Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Mine isn't the 4 into 1 but instead the turned out ones that don't look too far off from the factory ones. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Comment

mines 4 into 1 with small turned out can

Comment

are you running stock jetting?

Comment

Working...
                    X