Gauge for Oil pressure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge for Oil pressure??

I was just thinking I have a mallory 15lbs fuel pressue gauge with 1/4 pipe thread, was going to tap the galley plug. Has anyone ever tried to use one for oil pressure gauge on roller crank motor??

PRESSURE,pressure!

SQ:
    What a great idea! (more gauges are always best).
    What is the sweep of the gauge?90 degrees?180 degrees or the prefered 270 degrees?
    Don't see why it would'nt work and work great!
    Rick...........

Comment

The gauge is 1 1/2 in, perfect size 280-300 deg sweep was just wondering if the MC vibes would destroy the gauge

Comment

If it is liquid filled, it will work, if not, it will vibrate. :twisted:

Comment

I have a VDO 0-15 lb mini pressure gauge tapped into my gallery plug on my 83 850. I installed it when I installed my oil cooler. I believe it is a 270 degree sweep. It does vibrate some. I tried to find a liquid filled guage, but I unable to find one that would work for oil pressure. I ordered my gauge from Summit Racing.

I ordered a new gallery plug, had it drilled, and then tapped the plug so that I could have a 90 degree elbow turned up. I then screwed the gauge to the elbow. It works perfectly.

Comment

That sounds exactly like what I had in mind
            thanks

Comment

Might try that myself. Where is this gallery plug? Is it the bolt behind and at the base of the cylinders?

Comment

Yep,

Just below the back side of cylinder #4 at the top of the crankcase. I ordered a new one, because the origninal is chrome, and I didn't want to mess it up. If you take it out, be sure to order a new crush washer for the bolt.

Comment

Temp

Anyone have an oil temp gage? Just curious.

Comment

Re: Temp

Originally posted by RedGS1100
                    That sounds like it might be more useful than a pressure gauge. i'm happy with the oil light, but some indication of how hot the engine is would be nice. We;re always told cooler running engines last longer etc.

I nominate you for the project! :P
                    Form a commitee and get back to us....

Seriously though, it shouldn't be that hard, a temp probe on the tip of the dipstick or in this gallery plug (if there;s one on my bike) and a thermometer that'll read = or - 5 or 10 degrees up to about what 300 F?
                    I mean if the oil is circulating well, a probe anywhere should give a good estimate.

who knows maybe we can prove to ourselves that oil coolers and sythetic lubes really are making a big difference to engine temp.

Sam

Comment

Re: Temp

Originally posted by RedGS1100
                      My 1983 GS750ES has an oil temperature guage as part of the standard OE display. This engine has a lot less metal in it to act as a heat sink than the previous GS750's (over 30 lbs. less!!) and oil is used more actively as a way of handling heat (e.g. oil jets spray the undersides of the pistons). Of course, the following generation of GSXR engines took the concept much further and were largely oil-cooled.

It is interesting to see what the oil temp is doing as you ride. My bike takes almost 15 miles from a cold start before the indicated oil temp reaches its typical operating level.....about 190 degrees F. The oil temperature is pretty stable most of the time but I do notice significant temperature differences between long mountain ascents vs. descents here in Colorado....about 210 vs. 170/180 degrees. I can't testify to the absolute accuracy of the guage but the numbers are probably right in a relative sense.

Comment

If you have the 8 valve motors or the 16 valve 1000 or 1100 you might be shocked at how low your oil pressure can be...often less tham a pound.

Hap

Comment

On a 95F day, the oil temp on my 1150 never exceeds 175-180F.
                          Apparently, the oil cooler really does work. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Hap Call
                          If you have the 8 valve motors or the 16 valve 1000 or 1100 you might be shocked at how low your oil pressure can be...often less tham a pound.

Hap
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have a oil temp sender in the sump of my 78 GS1000, but have not had the guage hooked up for many years. One of those things to get around to! I don't think there is much point to an oil pressure guage on the roller crank motors as the pressure that is needed is so low.

Comment

Oil Temp

I am begining to understand a few more things about oil since I have become an Amsoil dealer recently. I have a link from this site in fact. Thanks to those responsible for allowing me to do that, by the way.

Oil pressure is not that important. There is a difference between film strength and viscosity. Synthetic lubes are indeed better, only those that dont want to spend the money would disagree. The others that may not agree may be operating with information that is old.

Oil coverage IS important and it does not necessarily take high pressures. If oil is pumped to the top of the motor to protect the valves or pumped to the bearings, how long the oil stays where pumped is important. Synthetic oils have higher film strength. To prove it to yourself you would have to take 10W-40 conventional oil and 10W40 Amsoil (For motorcycles) and place a drop of each on a bare piece of metal. Tip the metal up on edge and see which one reaches the floor first. Amsoil comparitively stays put, always protecting. Without my example, one would think that in order to get more protection that you would have to use a different viscosity, say 20W-50 of conventional oil. This is not so true that your oil pan will be empty, but synthetics do protect better.

I will give someone with an oil temp gage a smoking good deal on Amsoil for you to tell me what temperature differences you see. Amsoil will lower your oil temp. Less friction from better oil will produce less heat in the oil. Less heat in the oil means cooler oil flows to your bearings and valve train further protecting your engine.

Naysayers will tell me that synthetics are bad for motorcycles due to the wet clutch. Not true, Amsoil makes two oils just for motorcycles that work well with wet clutches that is friction modifier free.

I have used it in new and old bikes, cars, my jeep and my mowers. It will save you money because the oil is not used up after 3 or 4,000 miles. I will get off my soap box now. Let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X