Gauge for Oil pressure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil

i use amsoil 10w40 in my '83 gs750es and my oil temp gauge reads noticably lower even during stop and go riding or long hauls. no problems with the clutch..............

Comment

Has anyone had a problem with the oil temp sending unit? After about 10-15 minutes idling, the oil temp gauge doesn't move, I took the meter ckt to ground (pink wire) and the gauge movement is fine.
      The oil light doesn't work either, bit that is a separate circuit, swapped lamps and they are ok.

Thanks

Bob
      83 GS 750ED

Comment

Jonathan(guest) and Mister T,
        What are your normal running Oil Temps? Mine run between ~210-230F.

Comment

Re: Oil Temp

Originally posted by RedGS1100
          I will give someone with an oil temp gage a smoking good deal on Amsoil for you to tell me what temperature differences you see. Amsoil will lower your oil temp. Less friction from better oil will produce less heat in the oil. Less heat in the oil means cooler oil flows to your bearings and valve train further protecting your engine.
          I have an oil temp gauge on my '83 GS750es, so what kind of a smoking deal will you make me? My idea would be either free for the testimonial if it indeed lowers my oil temp or the same price as I pay for my Castrol 10w-40(~1.75 qt.) and you cover the shipping.

Comment

My bike takes FOREVER for the oil temp to come up. Usually I have to be on the road for at least 15 minutes before I get to the middle of the guage. Just Idling, it has to be a seriously hot day to warm it up.

Comment

Hi Clone, thanks for the reply. I haven't ridden this bike yet, still working on the clutch, so I was unsure if the sending unit was bad or not. Since they run between $45-65, I'll wait until I get it on the road, and see how it behaves before I change it. The service manual lists oil temperature vs resistance that I can check.
              Have you had any problems with the oil light? Mine is out, but the bulb checks ok.

Bob

Comment

I bought a set of gauges one says temp on it...probably intended for coolant temp..whats the difference i put the sensor in the oil pan drain bolt hole where it be in oil and the gauge will tell you the temp of the oil so a temp gauge is all you need not for water or oil...at long at it doesnt say water it just wouldnt look good on a air cooled bike. Also has a oil pressure one....im using the chrome nut on the stator cover to get into the oil journal thats the best place.

Comment

Originally posted by bboxer872002
                  I bought a set of gauges one says temp on it...probably intended for coolant temp..whats the difference i put the sensor in the oil pan drain bolt hole where it be in oil and the gauge will tell you the temp of the oil so a temp gauge is all you need not for water or oil...at long at it doesnt say water it just wouldnt look good on a air cooled bike. Also has a oil pressure one....im using the chrome nut on the stator cover to get into the oil journal thats the best place.
                  Where is the chrome nut on the stator? I know there is one on the other side from the stator. Is it a modification to your bike? Seems like I've seen something like that on some Brit GS bikes...

Hap

Comment

Its on the side near the top it leads into the oil jounal that oil flows through to get up the studs. Heres a pic..........

Comment

Originally posted by bboxer872002
                      Its on the side near the top it leads into the oil jounal that oil flows through to get up the studs. Heres a pic..........

http://img226.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...orcover2hg.png
                      That's cool! We don't have that on the 1100E. Is there also a chrome plug on the other side?

Hap

Comment

no there isnt...even if u take the other sides cover off its just a wall no machined hole or nothing.. only one end

Comment

The only thing is the gauge pack was intended for a car...so the oil pressure gauge reads 0 to 100 psi ...it never has show more then 9 or 10 barly even....but i figure if its there with the others better to connect it then to let it sit there unused

Comment

Come on RedGS1000, are ya gonna hook the guy up with some free oil or what?

I'd like to know the price for the rest of us. List your price here, for us all to see.

If he reports positive I'm interested, Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X