Bits in sump pan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bits in sump pan.

As I've only just got my GS1000E I was advised to drop the sump and check the pickup strainer. I did this and the strainer was fine but I found some rather alarming fragments in the sump itself
    The smallest bit looks like a roll pin. The small ally bit looks like a tooth off something. The largest piece looks like part of an engine casing.
    The engine has done 25000 miles and runs and sounds sweet so unless someone advises otherwise I'm just going to carry on riding it and NOT strip the motor.
    Does anyone recognise where the bit's may have come from please?

And one more with the large bit turned over

Comment

The pin could have come from the starter clutch, not sure about the other pieces. I assume the large piece is aluminim but what about that other medium small piece. Steel?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the middle bit looks like one of the dowel (locating) pins that fit between the valve cover and the head.

Dunno about the other 2, the smallest bit looks like gasket material in the first picture, but if it is metal, then thats highly unlikely.

Comment

If the pin is solid its likely from the starter clutch. The GS1000 starter clutches have propensity to fail. You may want to pull the stator cover and have a look if any of the pieces line up . . .
          Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

I wouldn't ride too far from home.
            Roller pins and chunks of metal, don't appear out of nowhere. Something -transmission?- is shedding parts.
            What is the history of the bike?
            Are there any "random noises" like bits rattling around the engine?

Comment

Blimey that was quick
              I'll try and answer all the questions in one go.
              The largest piece is ally not steel.
              The other small pice is ally and looks like a tooth.
              The smallest piece is a hollow roll pin.
              There are no knocks ,rattles or any other strange noises and all gears function as they should.

Comment

Starter clutch parts.
                Clean it out and get another one or see if you can rebuild the old one. Parts are still available.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Froudster View Post
                  The smallest piece is a hollow roll pin.
                  Is that roll pin hollow all the way through or is it closed off at one end?
                  If it's closed off, it appears to be part of the starter clutch assembly.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't think bits from the starter clutch can easily get into the case. I could be wrong, of course.
                    S.

Comment

No noises... My vote would be to clean it up & ride it.. Pieces too small for starter clutch. For all you know they could have been in their for the last 20K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Is that roll pin hollow all the way through or is it closed off at one end?
                        If it's closed off, it appears to be part of the starter clutch assembly.

It's hollow all the way through and is rolled up springsteel. Like the one in this pic but where it's been formed it gives the appearance of having several layers if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          No noises... My vote would be to clean it up & ride it.. Pieces too small for starter clutch. For all you know they could have been in their for the last 20K miles
                          That was exactly the way I was thinking as well

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                            Lynn those ARE starter clutch peices. The cylindrical piece there is the pusher for the sliders. That piece goes on the end of the spring, which, incidently, if THAT was in your sump pan, the spring is floating around in there too. Get that starter clutch OUT IMMEDIATELY, because there are TWO MORE of those in the clutch. I JUST replaced my starter clutch, it was already having problems, and getting chattery, but when we pulled it, those pushers were about to come out the back side of the clutch. The 1000s and up have a problem with kickback, for whatever reason, and this is generally the result over time. The torque thrown onto the clutch on kick back will eventually oval the holes that the bolts that hold the clutch onto the rotor go in. In turn, the clutch is no longer sealed to the back of the rotor, which is what keeps all those bits in there. It will start tossing out all kinds of things. I had PART of one of the springs show up on the end of my magnetic drain plug, and that was an immediate announcement to replace it ASAP. The one thing going for you is that the 8v motor doesnt have enough pressure to push those bits up into crucial bearing areas. I would however be worried about it getting into the tranny or something else down low, or possibly plugging up an oil passage. The big chunks of metal you show there, I cant say, but i wouldnt be surprised, based on the look of MY starter clutch when i removed it, if it were more parts of it. They REALLY HONESTLY will start self destructing in catastrophic ways. Looking at it again, I wouldnt be surprise if the "tooth" looking thing is part of the Primary gear. This also gets heavily damaged. The other, large piece, could possibly be part of the rotor, the primary gear, or the starter clutch itself. Any problems shifting at all? The large piece looks as if it had a bolt head attached to it at one time. And it has been thru something that has caused all that marking. The only place that a piece of that size could be turned over is in the Stator cover, or the clutch cover. As I said, pull that stator cover ASAP, and get that starter clutch out of there.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2008, 03:50 AM.

Comment

The hollow pin def. looks like starter clutch to me -- and I too have found one in my drain pan.

The other bits of metal I don't immediately recognise, but I have a hunch that if you pop the rotor off the end of the crankshaft, you may soon find out where they come from.

You could keep riding (my first thought when I started reading this thread, too) but mate was I glad that I inspected my starter clutch the other month, when similar pieces of metal appeared. There were lots of other bits about to be released into the proceedings!

Comment

Working...
                              X