No announcement yet.

Bits in sump pan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you may want to pull the oil every few thousnad miles to just keep things in check. also might not be a bad idea to cut apart your old oil fillter when you change you oil and inspect it for debris too.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Those are definately NOT starter clutch bits. The SC is made from cast iron and steel, the parts in the sump apart from the pin are aluminium. I changed the oil and dissected the filter and it was clean.

Comment

another possibility

i think someone just threw in those few bits of scrap while you weren't watching, so to give you a scare, just for fun
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Froudster View Post
          Those are definately NOT starter clutch bits. The SC is made from cast iron and steel, the parts in the sump apart from the pin are aluminium. I changed the oil and dissected the filter and it was clean.
          This is a picture of the starter clutch repair kit. You may recognise a bit or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            This is a picture of the starter clutch repair kit. You may recognise a bit or so.
            Thanks Matchless.
            I had the starter clutch apart yesterday and none of the bits I found in the sump were from it

Comment

Originally posted by Froudster View Post
              Thanks Matchless.
              I had the starter clutch apart yesterday and none of the bits I found in the sump were from it
              When removed my sump I actually found 3 springs and two of the rollers as well as one backstop from a starter clutch. The one installed was also faulty and I found a 4th spring and roller inside the rotor attached to the magnet. It had cracked one of the magnets and damaged a stator coil. So I know now that my bike is on its 3rd starter clutch!
              Those are definitely then from your starter clutch's predecessor.
              I agree with that other piece, definitely an overlong bolt that pushed a bit out somewhere, sometime maybe long ago.

Comment

Guys if you check the picture in post #12 you will see that the part in the sump was a roll pin, not a part out of the starter clutch. The hollow pin in the starter clutch that houses the small spring does not have a slot from end to end. Not on my GS anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Guys if you check the picture in post #12 you will see that the part in the sump was a roll pin, not a part out of the starter clutch. The hollow pin in the starter clutch that houses the small spring does not have a slot from end to end. Not on my GS anyway.
                  Don,
                  My eyes are going! Did not see thatin the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    Don,
                    My eyes are going! Did not see thatin the picture.
                    We're ALL getting older. I had been watching this thread for a while and wasn't able to agree with other's opinions, but did not want to spoil the thread. Cheers.

Comment

Not only that, but the bit of roll pin I found is only about 5mm long and 2mm in diameter. The starter clutch "Pins" are about 13mm long and 4mm diameter....and hollow

I've just been out for a 40 mile blast and it was a hoot.........I've still got a silly grin on my face as I'm typing this

Comment

I'm going to speculate a little here. Looks to me like a cam chain broke and took out a chunk of the value cover. Since this would have occured just above the opening for the cam chain, the metal bits would have headed south to the oil pan. I'm going out on a limb saying the small roller is from the cam chain. The gasket piece fell in when the PO replaced the valve cover.

Anyway, guessing aside, if the bike runs and starts ok just ride it. If something is amiss, you'll hear it soon enough.

Comment

Hi Flyingace. You may be right but I didn't find any gasket material in the sump and the round "roll" pin is definately NOT a cam chain roller

Comment

OK - that first item on the left looks a lot like gasket material to me. I guess this shows the disadvantage of two dimensions VS. three. But if that isn't a cam chain roller, my theory flys out the window.

Comment

Just to clarify,
                              Part 1-Aluminium tooth or part of.
                              Part 2-Springsteel roll pin or part of.
                              Part 3-Piece of aluminium engine casing.

Also see post No.2 for another view of the bits.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                                We're ALL getting older. I had been watching this thread for a while and wasn't able to agree with other's opinions, but did not want to spoil the thread. Cheers.
                                spoil the thread???

you just added some real juice to it
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X