Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator?

I am having a problem with the charging system on my 86 GS550E. With the bike off I have 12.35VDC. With it running at 5000rpm's I am getting 12.46VDC. I checked the plug and one one side I have 1 yellow, 1 white/blue, and 1 white/red wire. I am getting around 30 megohms across them. On the other side of the plug I have 3 yellow wires and I am reading 0 ohms across them. Definitely my stator is bad, I am just wondering if the item in the picture is the stator or the rectifier.

The picture shows a regulator/rectifier the 3 yellow wires come from your stator. I would think if your voltage is higher after you start the bike then before that your charging system is working. Your battery voltage before starting could be a little higher. check your water level in the battery. Clean the connections to the battery, clean all the connections to and from your RR
    If it is still the factory wiring you may want to connect the red lead from the RR directly to your battery and the black wire direct to ground then recheck the voltage at the battery while running it should be somewhere around 14.8 volts at 5000 rpm. see if the change makes things better, I'm guessing it should.
    p.s. you should have 5 leads coming from your RR a black a red and the other 3 you described with the black being ground and the red being the output voltage which should go direct to the battery to avoid going threw the old wiring on the bike which with poor connections could be causing the voltage drop.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Also, the item that is pictured has the yellow, white/blue and white/red wires going to it. It is located on the right side of the bike as you are sitting on it located near the rear tire under the frame. There is also a red wire going to it on the same plug. I called the local suzuki dealer and the part is $191.00 but they are back ordered and they are not sure how long it will be before they can get their hands on one. If I get an aftermarket one will I have to change the connector?

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
        The picture shows a regulator/rectifier the 3 yellow wires come from your stator. I would think if your voltage is higher after you start the bike then before that your charging system is working. Your battery voltage before starting could be a little higher. check your water level in the battery. Clean the connections to the battery, clean all the connections to and from your RR
        If it is still the factory wiring you may want to connect the red lead from the RR directly to your battery and the black wire direct to ground then recheck the voltage at the battery while running it should be somewhere around 14.8 volts at 5000 rpm. see if the change makes things better, I'm guessing it should.
        p.s. you should have 5 leads coming from your RR a black a red and the other 3 you described with the black being ground and the red being the output voltage which should go direct to the battery to avoid going threw the old wiring on the bike which with poor connections could be causing the voltage drop.
        If I connect the red wire from the RR to the positive on the battery, what do I do with the other side that goes to I assume the Stator? Do I connect the black wire to the Negative on the battery or to the frame ground?

Comment

you can get an aftermarket for about $100.00 from Eletrosport but do the items I suggested first before you order a new 1.

Comment

Originally posted by new_gser View Post
            If I connect the red wire from the RR to the positive on the battery, what do I do with the other side that goes to I assume the Stator? Do I connect the black wire to the Negative on the battery or to the frame ground?
            You can connect the red wire on the other side of the plug to the + side of the battery also connect the black to the - side of the battery the red lead goes to the ignition switch to power the bike.

Comment

O.K. If I get some time this afternoon I will try it. The battery is on the charger now and I still have to mow the lawn. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by new_gser View Post
                O.K. If I get some time this afternoon I will try it. The battery is on the charger now and I still have to mow the lawn. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks for the info.
                I just finished my lawn it was like a jungle with all that rain we got this week.
                You might want to take a good look at the battery too, Not knowing how old or what shape its in. If the ends have a bulge its been over charged and time for a new 1.
                We should hook up for a ride sometime, good luck

Comment

Mine did that. Clean the terminals and do as suggested above. Try that before buying parts. Sometimes things can be corrected simply by cleaning the connections.

Scott

Comment

new_gser,

Do everything lucabond suggested. You can also check your R/R. If you go to BassCliff's website (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/), you can find a manual for your bike and directions on how to check to see if you need a new R/R.

If you happen to need one, duaneage (from this site) might be able to help. I bought one for my 850 from him, $40.00 and it runs great.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Ed

Comment

Recently I replaced my stator and r/r, you should print off the stator pages test procedures, and do them, it could be the stator is ok. Also do the diode test on your rectifier. I also discovered that all the grounds from electrical devices on the bike come back to the battery via 1 20 guage wire.
                      To aid your electrical system health, add a new ground to:
                      headlight
                      signals
                      cluster
                      taillight
                      rear signals
                      r/r
                      fusebox.
                      I took the ones at the front to the frame and added a new wire from the frame to the battery. Then the fusebox and r/r plus the one from the rear to the bike directly to the battery.
                      Hopefully your system will be ok and mine will be ok too.

Comment

I didn't have too much time to work on the bike this weekend (mowing lawns, dropping trees etc) but I did start to check the connections. The small wire coming from the negative on the battery was only hanging on by a few strands and my continuity readings on my meter were all over the place. I cut off the old connector and replaced with a new one but my symptoms have not changed so I will take it a little further as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for all the great info. This bike would not be where it is today without you guys.

Comment

Well, it was a beautiful day yesterday so I decided to take the bike to work even though I knew I still had charging problems. At the end of the day when I was ready to go home it would not start. I checked the ground from the negative to the frame and my meter was jumping all over the place. I cut the old connection off, crimped on a new connector and relocated the ground to a different location. I push started the bike and checked the battery with my meter. At idle I was reading 13 volts and at 4000 rpm's I am reading slightly over 14 volts. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X