Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question

How necessary is it to replace the Pilot jet plugs? Can I use something else in their place? I accidently soaked one in lacqure thinner and it swelled to twice its size. I just got my new o rings and an ready to put it all back together. And I hate to think that I have to wait longer to get new plugs. On a side note is there any way to "restore" float bowl gaskets?
    Thank you for your time

It is VERY necessary to have the plugs in place. If not stock, I don't know what I would try to put in there.

If you look at the cut-away diagram of a carb, you will see how fuel is drawn through the main jet, then sideways to be further restricted by the pilot jet for the pilot circuit. If the rubber plug is not there, both the pilot and main circuits can draw fuel through the new opening, which will be easier than the main jet, and that will really wreak havoc with your mixtures.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do it right. Replace the plugs AND gaskets. You've got it apart. What if you mickey mouse it, do all that work, put it together and it runs like crap or leaks from the bowl gaskets? Then you take it apart again to do it right, all the while saying words your kids (if you have any) shouldn't hear.

Comment

Thanks for the picture makes things alot more clear. I was thinking about finding something rubber and cutting it to the right shape so that it fits in the hole. The other 3 plugs fit loosly I suppose they are supposed to be tight. I will let people here know how it goes.

Comment

The enlarged one will probably return to normal size, eventually. Most likely it's quicker to order up a new one.

CRC2 and many other vendors sell these -- you don't really have to wait for the OEM part to come in.

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ok well the plug did shrink and I ended up putting the shrunke ones in lacque to swell them to fit. Got everything back together and she started. Now I seemed to run great. So I took it on a highway run and after letting her loose for a bit, she started to bog down. Pulled the clutch in and she died. Then I let the clutch out and was able to make it home but had to keep the throttle open pretty much all the way. I didnt sync the carbs cuz I dont know the first thing about how to do it. Does any one have a link to a tutorial? I put an inline filter on her because the PO picked up a used tank and it was full of rust. I had used the battery charger method to clean it and think it worked well. I havent checked the filter yet but I have only put 20 miles on the bike since I got it running. Not to sure where to go from here. I have plans on Checking the valves clearance and changin the head gasket this winter since I will not be able to ride in the Minnesota snow. I also had to swell the boots on the intake box since they carbs would not even go in to them. I secured them with larger hose clamps and I THINK that there is a seal there but will check tomorrow.

Thank you for any advice, I really need to get through this season since my very small "bike fund" is nearly exhausted.

Comment

it sucks when you want to ride and your funds are limited
              however, some things can be fixed cheaply but temporarily only and need to be carefull not to cause more probs

the pilot jet plugs you can seal with a bit of fuel resistant silicone

the same for the airbox boots

clean the airfilter and seal the airbox with weather-stripes if needed

you can bench sync the carbs - the idea is that all the throttle butterfies open at the same time when you roll the throttle
              you can open the butteflies by hand (with the carbs off) and insert a piece of thicker wire (or a 1mm drill bit or similar) so the butterfly on carb #3 cant close
              now using adjuster screws adjust the other butterflies for the same opening as on #3 (using a similar piece of wire, etc)

adjusting the valves costs nothing if you can re-use the gasket
              if you break it just use high temp silicone to temporarily fix the points where the gasket broke (use silicone sparingly)
              Last edited by psyguy; 07-28-2008, 06:20 AM.
              GS850GT

Comment

Hmm these plugs are not present on any gs or gsx ive ever seen here in the uk

I must have had 15+ pass through my hands & have never seen tham before carbs a different spec in the us maybe ????????????

Comment

Got them on Australian import models,and also are used on the Honda CB series Bol'd'or models form the late 70's to 1980's.

Comment

Seal the tank and lose the filter.
                    Did you replace the petcock? Those 80 petcocks suck.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The pet cock is working fine although there is no res and the prime doesnt work, I just pull the vac line from #2 and suck. I change up the routing of the filter and kazaam I am in business tons of fuel and no starvation.

Comment

Working...
                      X