80 GS450E Carb Problem, Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS450E Carb Problem, Please help!

Ok, I'm super flustered and ****ed off right now. I just purchased my first bike, which is a 1980 Suzuki GS450E. I bought it on Ebay, guy said it was in perfect running condition, and when I get there, it starts but sputters out. The guy tells me I need to get the carbs cleaned because he didn't drain it over the winter and he has old fuel in there. He said that once the carbs are cleaned, it will run like new.

So I'm a little irratated, but I have friends that are mechanics. I just need to know some the the specs for the carburetor so they can tune appropriately. First of all, what kind of gasket needs to be replaced? Secondly, will it be able to be synced right or will I need a special tool? My mechanic buddy said he has one for his 03 Harley so hopefully it will work on this old carb. Can anyone give me some carb cleaning advice? I just need to know what I will need in order to sync and clean the carbs properly. I really want to be on this bike by tomorrow. Too bad tomorrow is Sunday, otherwise I'd take it to a proper shop.

Forgive my frustration, I'm just extremely flustered at the moment. I just wanna ride!!!

Thanks guys.

Search function.

This topic comes up a least 5 times per day or 35 times per week. sorry to be harsh but please check the archives.

You bought an OLD bike. Cleaning the carbs is the right of passage.

For general advice check the GSR homepage in the Garage section. All CV carbs are basically the same so while the instructions are not specific to your bike, they are close enough.

For parts, go to cycleorings.com

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by SleepygG View Post
      Can anyone give me some carb cleaning advice?
      you've come to the right place
      that's one of our favourites
      GS850GT

Comment

Pilot air screws on both L/H and R/H carbs should be between 1 and 3/4 and 2 and 1/4 turns out for starters, float height at 22.4mm and idle speed between 1100-1300rpm. Both carbs have a drain nut at the base which is easily removed to drain out the old fuel. Try and capture a bit so you can see the colour/discolouration of it. Pays to start with new fuel so you can discount that. Dump the old oil cause you don't know when it was last done. These are very simple motors to work on,and shouldn't need much to get right. Remember to set your points too, as this could have an effect also.

Comment

I too recently purchased a GS450 off EBay and found a few obvious flaws after a thorough inspection at home. I told the buyer I would reflect this in my feedback unless I received a $$ refund that it would take me to replace the items (I checked on EBay to get the prices & told the seller to confirm). I received a refund to the exact amount requested. I like the new EBay f'back where buyers can only get +++ and sellers are now motivated to treat buyers like a customer.

Here is a link to an on-line manual for your bike:
          Sign in with your credentials to access the EBSCOhost premium information resources provided by your subscribing institution.

Type in Library for user ID and password.
          Go to small engine repair, motorcycles, suzi, then
          GS400-450 CHAIN DRIVE, 1977-1987

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. My neighbor, who is a mechanical whiz, found the problem. Both the floats in the carb were cracked and had liquid in them. Also, there was water in the gas tank and the carb needed cleaning.

I contacted the buyer and told him if he didnt pay the repair costs, that I would file an Ebay Motors buyer protection claim. He is now Western Unioning me the money tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
            X