Loose rocker arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose rocker arms

'81 GS750L 16v....Getting ready to adjust the valves..the rocker arms seem very loose to me. Here's a breakdown.. i=intake, e=exhaust... l=loose, t=tight... 1-4=valve#. With the cam notches out----1i-l, 1e-t..2i-t,2e-t..3it, 3e-t..4i-t,4e-t------with the cam notches in----1i-t, 1e-t..2i-l, 2e-t..3i-t, 3e-l, 4i-l, 4e-l. Make sense? To my eye, adjusting the valves to the proper clearance is not going to tighten up the loose rocker arms. Is there another bolt to tighten under the cam lobe?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

The two tappets on each rocker is all you have to adjust besides new valves.
    Are you putting the feeler guage between the top of the valve and the bottom of the tappet?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yep, just like the picture. The arm that holds the two valves is loose and with it being loose, it makes it difficult to get a measurement. It (the rocker arm) has alot of "play" in it. When I move the rocker arm it clicks up and down. The looseness is different depending on the notches being in or out as described in the original post.

Edit:: Perhaps the valve are so far off that after loosening the bolt and adjusting the screw down, the "play" will go away. I guessing this is the whole reason for adjusting the valves?????
      Last edited by Larry D; 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

There will always be play in the rocker when the cam lobe isn't pushing on it due to the valve clearance. It's suppose to feel free and play, when pushed against the cam lobe you have your valve clearance between the tappet bottom and valve top, when you let go gravity allows the rocker to fall and close that gap while creating a gap between the rocker and cam lobe.

Simple way if it is it's supposed to be the way you see it, if it didn't have freeplay you'd have 0.00 mm or 0.000" of valve clearance.

Comment

Okay, I'll have to study that for a minute to understand. I won't worry about it and proceed with the valve adjustment, after the new tappet style feeler gauges I ordered arrive. I figure if I have to do this every 6,000 miles, I'll get the proper tools. Thanks.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
          X