Sealing engine gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing engine gaskets?

Ive finally got my wiseco 850bb kit ready to install. All the engine machining is done, re-cut the valve seats and valves also replaced a couple of valves.

As well as a few other things like new bolts etc its all done and ready to go back together.

Anyways,
    To hylomar or not to hylomar that is my question??

When replacing the barrel gasket should I use hylomar to seal it on both sides or not at all, also does the wiseco gasket require hylomar'ing or not?

A mate had his 850 rebuilt a while back and it has some small weeps from the base gasket & I would like to avoid that if possible. He has re-tensioned everything etc and it still weeps.

My motor was previously very weep'y, but Im assuming that was from the massive amounts of blow-by it was suffering since 3 of the 4 top compresssion rings were broken.

Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

I use Cometic gaskets and have not had any problems with the base or head gaskets.
    I put them on dry.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i've ised high temp grease on the base gasket
      that was vesrah gasket, not sure what material is wiseco made from
      GS850GT

Comment

Never put anything on the head gasket.

Most members put grease on them, some don't both with good results

You shouldn't have to put any sealer on a new gasket on your Suzuki
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Put them on dry. They are supposed to be able to move slightly due to expansion, they can't do it if you glue them down

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I use Cometic gaskets and have not had any problems with the base or head gaskets.
            I put them on dry.
            cheff1366,
            Was your Cometic gasket a MLS type?

Comment

The only Cometic gasket Ive ever used failed on me. It was a cam chain tensioner gasket. But, I think it was my own fault, as i had overfilled in compensation for my oil cooler system. It leaked from there and the half moons which were are on their way out anyway, but once the level came down a bit, it stopped. I havent had any problems with Vesrah either, tho I have been less than pleased with the fit and finish of Athena gaskets. We installed Athenas on Steve's sons 850, and had problems with the base gasket lining up correctly, and the head gasket looked a lil funny too. Had to nip a bit out of the base to get it to lay down at all, but it hasnt leaked yet. Only 50ish miles on it at this point tho...lol. I used a complete Vesrah kit on my cafe project, and its done just fine. I generally use lithium grease or motor oil on them to keep them from baking on, but primarily only on the gaskets which will have to be removed/replaced fairly often, like the valve cover, breather, and cam chain tensioner gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                cheff1366,
                Was your Cometic gasket a MLS type?
                No...................
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  No...................
                  Thanks, looking for any MLS user....

Comment

Working...
                  X