Ok, maybe its a short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, maybe its a short

This afternoon, i messed with the wires a bit and the bike started up! still no signals or lights. If i unplug the box labeled 374-6 (turn signal auto cancle? never worked...) i get the signal indicator to light up solid, when it wouldnt before.

It looks like this connector is somewhat melted, including the wires, but no sign of a short there, and it was from the PO. I am thinking it might be in the PO's wiring job in the front end when he put the fairings on though, but i cant seem to find anything!

1980 GS850GL
    ok, now the rear signals will light up solid amber, the relay is not clicking, however, and there is no tail light or front end lights
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2008, 11:25 PM.

Pull the headlight off and check the wires from the ignition. Also check both sides of all fuses with the key on to make sure they are all good.

If you need a self cancel box I have a few extra.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the relay is not clicking, Check your GROUNDS to all of the signals. Also, buy Chefs signal cancel switch, IF it will comply (they apparently used different ones thruought the years, but should work i would think) Do as he says also and check your bullet connectors in your headlight. But from what you are describing, and im no electrical genius, I am suspecting a ground issue.

Comment

i noticed this morning that it does click, just once, it clicks open and holds open for either the left or right turn signal

Comment

now, tonight, i was going over the circuit for the lights, and without touching anything the right turn signal started workinging properly! not only that but it was working in front too!

The left still wouldnt work except for staying on solid, and only in the back. Still no head light or tail light though.

If i plug the auto signal canceling box back in, i get nothing, the relay will click once and become stuck open, and no lights will come on

Comment

sounds like your auto cancel is shot, but i could be wrong. And I STILL think you have ground issues.

Comment

When the ignition switch is off, is the + side of the lights circuit supposed to be continuous to ground? i get 0 resistance when its off, a proper voltage when the ignition is on.

orange/green wire
              Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2008, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerfox View Post
                When the ignition switch is off, is the + side of the lights circuit supposed to be continuous to ground? i get 0 resistance when its off, a proper voltage when the ignition is on.

orange/green wire
                I was actually speaking of your grounds from the signals themselves, as well as all body grounds on the bike. These often get cruddy with dirt, rust, whathaveye, and cause all sorts of odd happenings on the electrical side of things, especially intermitant weirdness like you have been experiencing.

Comment

Could it be my turn signal canceling box? (376-4) I can apply voltage to the head light line all the way up to the connector for the box, after that i wouldnt know, and the head light turns on!
                  There is voltage at the supply to the box as well. I checked all the grounds with a multimeter, they are all great

Comment

Now i have the tail light working. I replaced a fuse and the tail light came on, but this fuse looked and tested fine

So i have a working tail light, a working right flasher, a solid left flasher and no head light. This is turning into a big problem for me >

If i pop the neg off the battery, and read the voltage across the new gap, i get 0.03 volts. is this acceptable?

Does the auto turn signal cancel affect the head light?

I never had a high beam either, by the way

Doublechecking Basscliffs wiring diagram, does the head light even wire in to the turn signal cancle box? because it is! the black/red wire
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerfox View Post
                      Could it be my turn signal canceling box? (376-4) I can apply voltage to the head light line all the way up to the connector for the box, after that i wouldnt know, and the head light turns on!
                      There is voltage at the supply to the box as well. I checked all the grounds with a multimeter, they are all great
                      Do you want to try one of mine? I see you live in CA.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X