Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch hub nut removal -- any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch hub nut removal -- any suggestions?

There's the tool in the manual, and then there's what people use in the real world. Is there a generic tool at the auto parts job that'll do the job?

Thanks for any help.

Jack
    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Air impact gun. Rattle zip done.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Air impact gun. Rattle zip done.
      Yup....only way to go....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I assume your talking about the hub holder tool.

I have the proper tool, but what I have used in the past at the track on the atv's and dirt bikes without the tool is a piece of leather (like from a belt) or even a heavy rag stuffed into the gears to bind them up and prevent turning. Get your socket and breaker bar on the nut with some pressure and give it wack with a malet. An extra set of hands helps to hold the socket on good and straight.

If you have an impact that works too, but on re-install do it by hand and torque to spec.

It has worked for me, but can't give you a guarantee. Proceed at your own risk

Comment

strap wrench
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Breaker bar with a 32mm socket. Put the bike in first gear and stand on the rear brake and break it loose. If that doesnt' work I bought a Harbor Freight electric impact. Works everytime.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

make a tool

you can make a hub holding tool , it easy, obtain a steel clutch plate and weld a tab on it, make the tab long enough to lock onto something solid, job done. This is what I used to do back in the days when air compressors and rattle guns were only owned by wealthy people, now days that type of gear everyone can afford them.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Since I'll be going around to the other side of the engine soon to face the same problem with the countershaft sprocket, I'm going with the air impact wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies. Since I'll be going around to the other side of the engine soon to face the same problem with the countershaft sprocket, I'm going with the air impact wrench.
                  You made the RIGHT choice! Ray.

Comment

I just had to remove my clutch hub as well. I found a32mm socket at a local hardware store for $6.00(impact no less) did't have to buy the whole set either.
                    I used a 5/16" box end wrench to hold the hub while removing the retaining nut. I put a clutch spring bolt thru the box end into the hub, it rested inside the housing and provided enough stopping power to let me loosen the retaining nut. Just another option, without making another tool purchase.

Andy
                    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                    1984 GS1100GK
                    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Breaker bar with a 32mm socket. Put the bike in first gear and stand on the rear brake and break it loose. If that doesnt' work I bought a Harbor Freight electric impact. Works everytime.
                      Top gear also works well.

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Then put a really good one back in.

Speed Merchant
                          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Bonanzadave, what kind of clutch hub do you have in your bike? It looks the same as the beefy, nonstock version I found in my heavily modded GS1000.

Also, will my smallish (three gallons, 150 max PSI) Sears air compressor drive an air impact wrench like the one you're holding?

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Might want to bend that tab down first.

Comment

Working...
                              X