cheap tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by focus frenzy
    Scotty, wold the name be "hi-max"? I put a CS hi-max on the front of my bike and am very happy with it, they have come a long way, I like the cs hi-max better than the dunlop I had on it.
    the dunlop was a little vague and made me feel un-easy, the hi-max gives me allot better feedback and inspires more confidence.
    I will buy them again.
    Ill let you know when i get them- I have never been one to go for names-Lot of hype and thats probably why i dont remember what it was. I dont believe these were the top of the line CS tires though- Ill know in a couple of days.

Comment

Maxxis

I believe that Cheng Shin has chnged its product name to MAXXIS, and that they indend to sponsor a ride in Superbike next year. I, too, had there Metezler lookalikes on a Honda 400f for a couple of years and had no problems.

Comment

cheap tires

Scotty

I've run a set of Cheng Shin Hi Max on my '77 GS550 and loved them. They wore well ( I put on 300 miles a week just back and forth to work) and handled wet roads great.

I'll probably put a set on my 850 next time I need tires.

Scott

Comment

Thanks all for the input

Comment

Worst tires I EVER rode on.
            Pieces of crap........
            We use them on our trainers for the MSF courses.
            Had one peel away during a braking exercise, about 25mph, locked the rear and it peeled off.
            I would NEVER ride any motorcycle with these tires on it.
            We still have them on the trainers. They are not "round". You can feel the tire even at the slower speeds we ride at, usually under 20-25 mph.
            Maybe they have improved with the Maxxis labeling or figured out how to make a better tire.
            First impressions are lasting.
            I'll stay with my Dunlop GT501's. They are reasonable and wear well. They handle very well in the rain.

Scotty, aren't lots of the roads around you poured concrete?
            Some of the previous posts state that in the rain or on poured concrete they were not good, useless. When it rains in FLA on these types of roads......be careful.

Keith
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
              Worst tires I EVER rode on.
              Pieces of crap........
              We use them on our trainers for the MSF courses.
              Had one peel away during a braking exercise, about 25mph, locked the rear and it peeled off.
              I would NEVER ride any motorcycle with these tires on it.
              We still have them on the trainers. They are not "round". You can feel the tire even at the slower speeds we ride at, usually under 20-25 mph.
              Maybe they have improved with the Maxxis labeling or figured out how to make a better tire.
              First impressions are lasting.
              I'll stay with my Dunlop GT501's. They are reasonable and wear well. They handle very well in the rain.

Scotty, aren't lots of the roads around you poured concrete?
              Some of the previous posts state that in the rain or on poured concrete they were not good, useless. When it rains in FLA on these types of roads......be careful.

Keith
              We will find out soon. The owner of my bone yard and reconditioned motorcycle shop runs them all the time and on his bikes also. I guess time will tell. It amazes me though how so any old time riders did not have problems with them and some other folks hate them. I wonder if the company sells seconds to some vendors.???
              I have had one on my front for about 10 000 miles and it is not fully worn yet. also no problems with vibration. I will admit that i had the front wheel machine electronically ballanced about a year ago. However it had a vibration problem BEFORE i put the $40 tire on the front though.???????

Comment

I have CS tires on both GSs, put a lot of miles on the 750 with CS Barracudas. I've been very happy with their handling and wear, not to mention the the price was affordable for a working man's budget.
                I am interested in the feedback regarding wet conditions, I have no complaints with CS, but seems others sure do.

Comment

I used to use CS tires now and then, particularly when I would get caught a bit short on cash and needed to replace tires. On various occasions in the rain, I have had the rear wheel slide out from under me at speeds as low as 15 mph in a turn at an intersection. I also noticed that slight pressure on either brake would lock either wheel with tires that handled OK in dry conditions and had a couple thousand miles on them. Mold release was not a factor. Admittedly, this was before the the Hi Max was available and before the present designs and compounds. I suspect the tire that caused my problems remains in the CS line though. I'll be sticking with my Metzelers :-) :-) (yep, pun intended) My favorite tire of all time was the Dunlop K-81, but you cant hardly get em no mo.

Earl

Originally posted by Greg Wasserott
                  I have CS tires on both GSs, put a lot of miles on the 750 with CS Barracudas. I've been very happy with their handling and wear, not to mention the the price was affordable for a working man's budget.
                  I am interested in the feedback regarding wet conditions, I have no complaints with CS, but seems others sure do.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Maxxis and Cheng Shin are two different companies. Maxxis started up
                    in the late 1960's, we run Maxxis on our cross-country quads and you
                    can't beat them. Maxxis is actually the #1 bicycle tire manufacturer in
                    the world and like 13th largest tire producer globally! Cheng Shin's
                    are your basic budget tires. If your not gonna be taking sweepers at
                    80 mph or won't be riding in the rain then have at it.

Comment

I think tires are like most things...ya get what you pay for. Personally I like michelin and metzler. I`ve had excellent results from them and will keep on using them. I have used bridgestones with good results also.

Comment

Are you guys mail ordering tires or buying them retail? I have only run Dunlops and Metzelers (bias-ply) on my 750 and have always thought they were fairly reasonable at about $80-$100 each thru most parts warehouses. Tires are one thing that I will absolutely not go cheap on either on my car or motorcycles considering the cost of a crash. You can cut costs in other areas but I would not skimp on rubber. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                          Are you guys mail ordering tires or buying them retail? I have only run Dunlops and Metzelers (bias-ply) on my 750 and have always thought they were fairly reasonable at about $80-$100 each thru most parts warehouses. Tires are one thing that I will absolutely not go cheap on either on my car or motorcycles considering the cost of a crash. You can cut costs in other areas but I would not skimp on rubber. Ride On, Ed.
                          Skimping on rubber is foolish if you are sure of the difference between skimping and paying too much. The CS on the front of my bike has been through some awful rain storms and i never experienced slipping. Maybe some of you folks are just a little too fast in your driving habits. i have a battlax on the rear now and it didn't seem something special. It seems that there are enough opinions both for and against for me to say that we all just have different opinions. the tires cant be crap and junk at the same time. My front tire is lasting as long as any dunlop that i have ever run. But what does it prove. It is only my opinion. We live in a world of overkills and brand name worship. And so far in my worthless opinion i dont see why i need to spend 130 bucks for a tire. Scare tactics and all.????

Comment

I agree riding style plays a large part in selecting tires but like anything else in life you get what you pay for. I do not buy things based on name brand alone, but strongly feel that in certain areas sacraficing quality for price is not an option. You have to admit that "bargin-priced" tires either for cars or bikes are cheaper because they lack the grip and peformance capability of premium tires. When street riding, I rely on two things to keep myself alive-the ability to out accelerate and out brake about 99% of the autos out there. This requires no compromise concerning tire quality. Go with what you know and what suits your style but don't forget the words of the Michelin man. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

I have often gone to a cheaper tire because they are often made of softer rubber.

Comment

I've run dunlop k491's since they became availuable. I love them. This year, I ordered a k491 rear...waited 7 weeks...no tire...called dunlop and was told I'd have to wait an indeterminate time before they would be availuable, so, I bought a cheng shin...I had run them in the past on various bikes with no problem, except fast wearing and a little slippage...They're OK, not great. When I can get it, I'll buy a Dunlop again.

Comment

Working...
                                X